Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
Maybe someone out there has had an issue with their Vintage Air that goes like this...

AC/Heat Control:Left selector all the way down (Heat)
Temp Control: All the way down for hot temp
Defrost/Floor: Left, Midrange, or all the way Right...no difference

Fan: very low, medium or high

Result:
AC compressor kicks in!

WHY?????

Have not bothered the Tech's at Vintage Air yet...

Thanks in advance,
Rods56

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Assuming it's an electronic control unit, I would reprogram the ECU first. Do the doors seem to operate normally?
Has it ever worked correctly or is it a new install or the first time you used heat?

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,392 Posts
Reprogram first. If that doesn't work, check the HEAT and COOL pot outputs and make sure they aren't connected incorrectly to the computer... mine was when I purchased a car that had the VA 'halfway installed'...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys...

I installed this VA and it seemed to be working right, then when cool weather shows up and I went to use the heater, it just seems that when the fan is turned on, the AC compressor clutch kicks in, with the control is selected full hot. May have to call VA and see what they say. Will try to reprogram it in a few days...again, thank you guys!

Rods56

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,550 Posts
Thanks for the replys...

I installed this VA and it seemed to be working right, then when cool weather shows up and I went to use the heater, it just seems that when the fan is turned on, the AC compressor clutch kicks in, with the control is selected full hot. May have to call VA and see what they say. Will try to reprogram it in a few days...again, thank you guys!

Rods56
check your defroster lever it is supposed to engage the compressor when defrost is selected, it is part of how the dehumidified defrost system works.

on my car
the top lever (under the fan speed switch) that moves left and right under the fan selects heat or a/c also selects the dash vents or floor vent simultaneously
the left lever cool up heat down
right lever up heat down defrost.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...Vintage Air

check your defroster lever it is supposed to engage the compressor when defrost is selected, it is part of how the dehumidified defrost system works.

on my car
the top lever (under the fan speed switch) that moves left and right under the fan selects heat or a/c also selects the dash vents or floor vent simultaneously
the left lever cool up heat down
right lever up heat down defrost.
I will check this out...thank you!

Rods56

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Works great after leaving the defrost select all the way to the left (floor). AC compressor clutch never engaged when operating the heat with fan select from low to high! Moving the defrost select to defrost...engages it!

Thank you for setting this old guy straight!

Rods56

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,550 Posts
putting the defrost lever down should not do that, in fact it indicates that you may have the wires to the 2 vertical levers swapped. when the defrost lever is pushed down that selects defrost which should actually bring on the compressor. I suggest you check the wiring thoroughly and make sure you have the correct color wire plugged into the correct potentiometer on the control panel.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to be sure...
The Left Lever (Up/Down) selects either Heat or AC
The Right Lever (Up/Down) you select the temperature from low to hot

The Upper Controls Fan Speed...Low to High (left to Right)
The Lower Control Selects Floor/Outlets/Defrost

This is correct or not?

Tha nks...
Rods56

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Just to be sure...
The Left Lever (Up/Down) selects either Heat or AC
The Right Lever (Up/Down) you select the temperature from low to hot

The Upper Controls Fan Speed...Low to High (left to Right)
The Lower Control Selects Floor/Outlets/Defrost

This is correct or not?

Tha nks...
Rods56
See Mode Control under Defrost on page 21: https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/56155-PCZ.pdf Compressor willl be on between floor and defrost. Did you reprogram? Programing sets the range of resistance of the sliders in your control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts