Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about weird...

According to VA: Ground wires need to be attached directly to the ground at the battery...oh yeah? When I connected them to the battery negative terminal, with the battery shutoff from the electrical system, via a cutoff switch, the violet power wire hooked up to be on with ignition on, but ignition switch off...my blower motor runs!

Removed the ground from the battery negative terminal and hooked it to my body ground from the battery...fan does not run, unless I turn the battery kill switch on, and the ignition switch on...like it should work, however...does the blower run all the time the ignition is on? Mine runs as long as I have the ignition switch ON...the blower fan must not have an off position!

Will try to call VA again tomorrow...the last guy said to hook the ground wire directly to the battery negative terminal...but that will not hack it.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,078 Posts
Talk about weird...

According to VA: Ground wires need to be attached directly to the ground at the battery...oh yeah? When I connected them to the battery negative terminal, with the battery shutoff from the electrical system, via a cutoff switch, the violet power wire hooked up to be on with ignition on, but ignition switch off...my blower motor runs!

Removed the ground from the battery negative terminal and hooked it to my body ground from the battery...fan does not run, unless I turn the battery kill switch on, and the ignition switch on...like it should work, however...does the blower run all the time the ignition is on? Mine runs as long as I have the ignition switch ON...the blower fan must not have an off position!

Will try to call VA again tomorrow...the last guy said to hook the ground wire directly to the battery negative terminal...but that will not hack it.
The blower should run ONLY when the A/C blower switch is on and key is on. The switch has an off position.
Sounds like you have a bad body ground. It should make NO difference where you connect the ground. The entire body, and engine should be at the same ZERO ground level with the battery. Check your ground cables. Reprogram after you tighten all grounds. Does the A/C switch change speeds and is it backwards?

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too late to mess with the old girl...will be checking the grounds again tomorrow. The blower is on as soon as the ignition switch is turned on. Its Excedrin Headache # 56!!
Talk at you tomorrow...thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vintage Air has a great customer service dept. give them a call. no long wait and friendly. my experience with them anyway.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I believe when you break the circuit with the disconnect switch it goes back into the programming mode. have you reprogrammed it and see if it works with the key off and not battery disconnected. I think the computer needs battery voltage even when the key is off to hold the memory when to operate and when not to.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Have you looked at your control levers?
During the install, or anytime you mess under the dash, you can knock the lever off of those crappy ass plastic "cable correctors".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had similar problem with mine. It was resolved by reconnecting the the connection to the blower on the evaporation unit. Apparently I didn't have it inserted properly.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Make sure when you program the a/c ,the blower switch is off at the start & then move it on high at the end of program. I did not move the fan switch ,in programming at first, blower stayed on high all time,

:gba:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts