Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to achieve a 60's vintage look in my '55 Bel Air project (Like what the '55 I owned in '67 would have been if I'd had the money). The look of the Vintage Air MK IV would fit the bill. But if memory serves those units were not very effective. Does anyone know if the new Vintage Air MK IV systems improved or just a reproduction of the ineffective original?

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I'm trying to achieve a 60's vintage look in my '55 Bel Air project (Like what the '55 I owned in '67 would have been if I'd had the money). The look of the Vintage Air MK IV would fit the bill. But if memory serves those units were not very effective. Does anyone know if the new Vintage Air MK IV systems improved or just a reproduction of the ineffective original?
I think I am going to go with a Vintage Air unit. Just the evaporator kit though. I've already have a new compressor on the engine and I'm going to go for a polished condenser that will come with the radiator kit I'm going to get.

I guess by MK IV, you mean Gen IV?

These units have an excellent reputation except for the quality of the vents. Many go with original side vents and that fixes that issue but the center vent is still criticized some.

Other than that, I've only heard good things about Vintage Air.

I have also read that the competitors of the Vintage Air units are not much different as far as vents.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The Mark IV is a reproduction of the FrigiKing unit. FrigiKing was the original after market AC unit, installed in the mid fifties and perhaps before. It is mounted completely below the dash and has no heating or defrost.
Jim

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
What is a Vintage Air MK IV?

If it is their "Gen IV" "Sure Fit" for a 55-57 then it's the best you can get.

If it is a generic "Gen IV" unit then it's still a good unit, it's just not made specifically for a 55-57.

I would suspect any under dash unit from the old days.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Under dash unit like you could buy form Montgomery Ward back in the day. See page 22 of Vintage Air online catalog.
Actually they were only available from a dealer that would install them for you. at least in the fifties.
Jim

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
The problem with a strictly underdash unit is not that it won't produce cold air. I'm sure the VA MK IV does that and is of modern design.

The problem is airflow and the location of it. To have good airflow where it's needed you need cold air outlets that will direct cold air between you and the door/window where the heat load is. In other words you need outlets at the end of the dash.

My 67 Nova has a factory air unit that really an integrated a/c unit but all the cold air outlets are centralized under the dash like this kind of unit. It can blow 38 degree air, but it can't do it where it's needed, so it's really lacking in its ability to cool the car.

Maybe in a cool climate the underdash deal would be acceptable. Like where the temperature doesn't exceed 90 degrees and the dew point is lower than 75 degrees. We get that a few weeks of the year in spring and fall here in Texas, but conditions exceed that for about 4-1/2 months in real summer.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
The problem with a strictly underdash unit is not that it won't produce cold air.
When I was a kid back in the 60's and lived in Phoenix, some of those all-underdash units would freeze you out. Even when it was over 110 out.
I can remember a friend of mine measuring the outlet temp in his pickup at 18 degrees. However, if it got humid at all (which it didn't do much in AZ), the evaporator would ice-up. Then when you would let the fan keep blowing but turn down the temperature, it would spit tiny ice chunks at you.
My folks had a '64 Impala SS with one of 'em too. It would cool the whole car nicely all summer long.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
I'm not so sure about 18 degree outlet temp. That's virtually impossible.

Regardless, the air needs to go where it needs to be. There is no way around that. If you're in the driver seat and having cold air blow on your right side only keeps you cool, then fine, if it's hot out then you're not seeing any solar load because of the direction you're going. If you drove the other direction it would be a different story.

Remember we were all tougher and put up with this stuff when we were younger. And you don't have to now.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I'm not so sure about 18 degree outlet temp. That's virtually impossible.
I seen it with my own eyes

Remember we were all tougher and put up with this stuff when we were younger. And you don't have to now.
Yes we were tougher when we were young. But, my parents weren't young. I remember this well Rick. A/C is important in Phoenix. Granted, side vents are way better to have, but some of these underdash units put out so much cold air that they would cool the whole car down well.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,359 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interested in 'vintage' underdash (not vintage air)

Hi folks. interesting dialogue. When I was growing up on the East Coast Summers were HOT and MUGGY. All the Checker cabs had these underdash units with vents in the center and they would FREEZE your A%S! I am interested in buying something like this and having my AC shop get it working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0322528694&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does anyone have one that would be a great fit in my 56 Belair Wagon?
Thanks in advance and have a great day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts