Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
49,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a car show today that was 120 miles from here. Was a good show with 216 entries. The best part was i got to spend several hours visiting with and checking out the rides with member "Lloyd`s55". Was one of the highlights of the day. Sorry i didn`t think to get a pic of us together.
Terry

·
Registered
67,750 Posts
sounds good. did you take the 57 terry? that had to be a long ride. :tu

7,082 Posts
Downtown 5 blocks roped off, great cars both sides. I'm sorry, also forgot to take pic of us with your fine 57. My bad. Do have some pics to share. First are Terrys 57 and his buddies from Graham. Really good show with some great cars. Really enjoyed hangin out with Terry and his wife. Only bad note for me was finding out I need a new crank, cam, head jobs, ect. Not good having one rebuilt and letting it set for 18 yrs before starting. Hard lesson. I did get to put 4400 miles in 5 months on her. All is GOOD, it will be ready in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. Wonderful Day. :shakehands::tu :bowtier:

Attachments

7,082 Posts
A few more from Gainesville, Tx Show. This orange 55 was no expense spared, special. Owner is in a wheel chair, the car has hand controls, I think 502 BB and the work is unbelievable. :congrats: to the owner and driver. Lloyd :bowtier:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Great pics Lloyd. Wish I could have been there. Terry, that 57 is looking outstanding, you should have won something. Lloyd, so sorry to hear about your engine issue. Glad you got it pinpointed and get her back on the road soon

7,082 Posts
We were well represented. Anyone not respecting this Plymouth and Dodge, you got to wonder about. :) :bowtier:

Attachments

7,082 Posts
Thanks Bill, No Step for a Stepper. :tu:flag6: :bowtier:

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Hey Lloyd, i am a little confused. How can you put 4400 miles on an engine with all that wrong with it? My Brother in Law had a small block chevy sit since 1996 and he fired it up this year and it runs great. Please explain.

7,082 Posts
Yes i took the 57. Was a fun drive too. Put 260 miles on it this weekend.
Terry
Terry, I believe those are what I call Smiley Miles. !!!!!!:bowtier:

7,082 Posts
Hi John. Beat the heck out of me. I really do not know enough to explain. This was the first time I had been inside a car motor. Took 3 books and several months reading, put it together and torqued everything exactly to what the books said. The 1100 miles Power Tour trip was with 5 others and we drove anywhere from 55 to 70 (did get up to 82 twice just to show off) and they didn't have to wait for me. Found out the machinist did not know what he was doing, did not even put in hardened valves (now I know what they are) or address properly the oiling problem specific to the 55. I am blessed.

Good Buddy, lost last Jan to cancer, sitting around the deer camp campfire after a cold beer or three said "Lloyd, you are interesting to watch". I of course took it as a compliment. Life is good, some days are just better. Lloyd :tu :shakehands: :flag6: :bowtier:

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Downtown 5 blocks roped off, great cars both sides. I'm sorry, also forgot to take pic of us with your fine 57. My bad. Do have some pics to share. First are Terrys 57 and his buddies from Graham. Really good show with some great cars. Really enjoyed hangin out with Terry and his wife. Only bad note for me was finding out I need a new crank, cam, head jobs, ect. Not good having one rebuilt and letting it set for 18 yrs before starting. Hard lesson. I did get to put 4400 miles in 5 months on her. All is GOOD, it will be ready in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. Wonderful Day. :shakehands::tu :bowtier:
Thanks for posting the photos Lloyd.Sounds like you and Terry
had a good time.ALL the cars in the photos are awesome.:tu:tu:tu

What year's are the Plymouth and the Dodge?

Sorry to hear about your engine.:(When did all this happen?

:bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb:

Doug

7,082 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos Lloyd.Sounds like you and Terry
had a good time.ALL the cars in the photos are awesome.:tu:tu:tu

What year's are the Plymouth and the Dodge?

Sorry to hear about your engine.:(When did all this happen?

Doug
Not certain on year of Dodge and Plymouth, just great cars from the time.

As for mine, WOW. Started in 1978. Fast forward, when I decided to start it up after 18 yrs, I pulled the covers and intake, unstuck 2 valves, and started it up. It ran, I was extactic (sp). She ran and sounded great with my 36" glasspacks but had poor excelleration. She got up to 92mps, GPS. she did not use. but blew a quart of oil every 100 miles. Evidently there was rust on the cylinder walls and the rings never seated, plus the machinist did not put in the hardened valves for unleaded gas (bummer), he also did not properly address the machining for the crank and or cam necessary for only the original 55 265. Decent guy, just did not know any better. Being corrected properly as we speak. You guys that know what you are doing can pick this apart forever. Please don't. Doing the best I can with what I have to work with. :congrats::shakehands::flag6: :bowtier:

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
When did you last drive the '55 before pulling the engine?

I know you've been on cloud 9 after waiting years to get
that baby on the road.:):tuEven though s--t happens I
can tell that you're not feeling any lower than cloud 8.
Good attitude Lloyd.:shakehands:

Doug

7,082 Posts
Drove her 30 miles to Shawn on 10/08/13 to be checked out. She has never left me stranded on the road since 1978. With all this love, She wouldn't dare, she is Family. 2 or 3 weeks, She'll be Back. :sign0020: :bowtier:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Sorry to hear about you motor Lloyd :(

But like you said, she has never left you stranded anywhere, she knows she is loved and getting a new heart transplant, so just wait until the new motor is broken in and see how good she runs for ya then :)

Thanks for posting the pics also :tu

Rick

7,082 Posts
Tks Rick. Wish I was closer, You amaze me. WTG. :bowtier::shakehands:

·
Administrator
49,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Both the Dodge and Plymouth were 57 models, and both nice looking rides.

This orange 55 was no expense spared, special. Owner is in a wheel chair, the car has hand controls, I think 502 BB and the work is unbelievable. to the owner and driver. Lloyd
Actually it had an LS engine in it and said it dyno`d at 550hp and 460 hp to the rear wheels. And has only 500 or so miles on it and not been tuned yet. He won Best Of show with it in the car class.
Terry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts