Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an ad on Pittsburgh Craigslist a couple weeks ago & it showed junk cars in the woods rusted almost to nothing.
Ad said call & make appointment to shop, estate sale.
Old guy died & amassed a collection of 150 old cars from 41-62 but they were there too long.
This was never a junkyard so all the cars were complete when they started the estate sale.
This was just an old packrat that collected junk cars.

I didnt hear about it or get there the first couple months of the sale but when I did I got a whole bunch of windshield stainless from 55-57 Chevys & Pontiacs.
I spent 2 whole Saturdays & found 5 Chevy & Pontiac 4 door hardtops to strip the wing window assemblys out of.
Most of this stainless was just pick it off the cars since all the mounting clips were rusted beyond belief. To remove wing window assemblys I just bent them back & forth about 6 times & they just picked up out of the doors.
In all I got 7 Electric wiper motors , 13 complete windshield stainless sets,11 wing window assemblys from 4 dr htops,(fit Nomad & Convert.),some back window stainless sets & 6 hardtop flippers, & a bunch of other stainless.
I have a few photos of the second trip stainless layed out on my garage floor.
A buddy of mine talked me out of all the stainless except the wing window stuff.
I trippled my money on what I sold him & have all the smaller stuff to buff up & peddle on Ebay.
I left lots of stuff that I didnt want to mess with.
He lets you load & then he gives you a package deal price.
I think he is fair , I paid roughly $500 each load.
There are probably a dozen or more 55-62 Punkin rears but they are laying right in the ground & probably shot, the guy will lift cars with a loader to get under if you want.
Lots of 58 59 wagons, flattops & sedans, 3 57 wagons, 3 58 wagons ,62 wagon & lots more.
If you look on Pittsburgh Craigslist & look under parts & look for the junk car pictures then call the guy & set up a day to go.
He is taking shoppers on Saturdays & Sundays. Located up a long dirt lane on a farm near Saxonburg Pa. He has a Florida phone number but is in Pa. 789-485-8512 They call him Miami Dave.
Just thought someone on here might want to go brouse in the woods.
I nicknamed this place (
Heaven in the woods.)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Very Interesting:
I just wonder how many places like this exist. I've been to two other similar places in PA while search for items for my 55.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Good for you and everyone down the line that those parts will go to.
What about seats, interior garnish & headliner bows ?
PS, PB parts ?
2 DR wagons , get the back window crank mechanism and metal dividers between windows inside & out .

Stretch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seats were rusted pretty much away.
Stainless steel is about the only thing that survived.
When you opened the trunks the skin opened without the understructure, then the trunk floor was gone & even the frame rails to the back. Cars were there just too long.
Didnt see any PS or PB parts.
You could just tumble the roofs off some cars to get to the dash parts.
The stainless I got literally fell off the cars.

·
Registered
66,313 Posts
good read, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to save that stuff before the cars were crushed. Shame they were left to rot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the bright side, these cars would have likely been crushed a long time ago if they had gone to a scrap yard. As rusty as they are, there was still something salvageable left of them that otherwise may not have been there at all. Don’t look at what is gone, but rather what is left, and then count your blessings for getting to them in time to save it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have a working electric wiper motor assembly that would fit a ‘56 210, I might would be interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I had a couple days off work & decided to buff up some of the stainless from the Heaven in the woods haul that I kept. here is a few shots of what I buffed & last one is what I need to buff yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have a working electric wiper motor assembly that would fit a ‘56 210, I might would be interested.

Sorry but all of these wiper motors were pretty bad & I package dealed them to my buddy who bought all the stainless that I sold.
I dont have any nice ones right now., sorry.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They say one man’s junk is another man’s treasure. Looks like you unearthed a little bit of that treasure. Nice find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was good you were able to salvage some parts
Yeah, 2 long tiring Saturdays with beautiful weather 60's & 70's but it was really fun being in the woods with that many old Chevys & Pontiacs.
Reminded me of my teenage years (late 60's), working for my uncles in a 900 car junkyard that had nothing newer than 1965. Crusher got all of them in 1972.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Looks like a nice early 60's wagon roof there...someone building an early sedan would like that for a solid roof panel...
JR

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That 62wagon was one of the less rusted cars there.
I cut a roof out of one of those a few years ago...it was more work than I anticipated. Instead of mine, it wound up on a friend's Model A... I'd like to be able to walk through that woods just to absorb some of the history.
JR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts