Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to know how to wire a volt meter in my 57 truck. Says a hot switched fuse, but no fuse box on my truck. Can I come off the back of the alternator, or off the light switch, and if so where on the switch. Nothing is hot until truck is started and running, has 12volt alt. installed, with factory wiring harness, conv. for the alt.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Wanting to know how to wire a volt meter in my 57 truck. Says a hot switched fuse, but no fuse box on my truck. Can I come off the back of the alternator, or off the light switch, and if so where on the switch. Nothing is hot until truck is started and running, has 12volt alt. installed, with factory wiring harness, conv. for the alt.
You can go off the back of the Alt or the positive side of the battery, the only issue with that is the volt gauge will be reading voltage 24/7. I have ran my volt gauge on my crawlers like that for over 20 years with no issues. Lucky for me when i installed the new wiring harness in my 57, the new fuse box actually had a separate wire just for the volt gauge, so when the key is turned on, it reads the volts in the battery, and when i turn the key off, the gauge is dead.

Depending on how much work you want to do, you can remove the ignition switch from the dash, and find the wire that is hot when the key is turned on and dead when the key is turned off, and hook the gauge up to that post on the switch so it will come on and off with the key.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts