Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of replacing the gas sending unit in my 56 Nomad. Seems the rear tires, springs, shocks and drive shaft must be removed/dropped to achieve clearance. Is that correct? Any tips that might make the install go faster?

Does the gas tank need to be lowered to install the sending unit? I was planning on just moving the axle forward to get more room to install the sender...

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,175 Posts
I'm not sure about the drive shaft. If you have high enough jack stands, You can remove the equalizer bar on the emergency brake. This allows the shaft to fall lower with the rear end assembly. You have to remove the shocks from body. Remove the rear shackels, and let everything down. This should give you enough room to get the tank out. One word of caution, install the new unit in the tank BEFORE the tank goes in.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I don't believe you need to remove tank to install sending unit .. I didn't on my 56 handy....You need to move all that stuff to remove tank, but not unit....Not unless Nomads are different.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I got my out without pulling any thing you have to get to car up high and let the rear end sag down .Check the fuel fitting on your new sender mine leaked
had to brazed it. (mine was new)

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Had my '56 wagon on the lift recently while working on the electric fuel pump. At that time, didn't know what was wrong exactly, but I looked at sending unit and thought how easy it would be to remove it if I had to; which I didn't have to do. I do believe it can be removed from the tank while the tank is still installed. Could be different on a Nomad but I wouldn't know why.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It comes out without removing the tank. Be careful reinstalling it. If you force it, you will bend the float rod and it will hang up on the contour of the tank. It will then only go as low as half, even if empty. I you do remove the tank, I found it easier to remove the driveshaft, the spring U-bolts, and the shocks. You can the just slide the rear forward on the springs far enough to get the tank out. I hate dealing with the shackles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts