Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the context of a letter I sent Wal Mart.

On June 28, 2013 I purchased four Goodyear tires at your store in Del Rio, TX. and had them installed on my 2011 Lexus, with 12857 miles. The factory original tires on it were starting to make a lot of road noise. This was my reason for purchasing new tires. After arriving at home I discovered there was damage done to the front right wheel edge. I returned to the store and filed a claim with an employee named Eddie; who took pictures of damage. He was extremely professional and polite with me. I am a former El Paso TX Police officer, retired Union Pacific Railroad conductor, and a U.S. Army disabled Vietnam veteran. My car did not have as much as a rock chip on it and was low mileage and immaculate.
On July 1, 2013 I received a call from your insurance representative, who identified himself as Jeff Weeks. He was over bearing, rude and argumentative. I abruptly ended the conversation and moments later he called me back with the same demeanor, so I ended the conversation again. He called again and that's when he gave me a claim number of 20587. On July 16, 2013 Mr. Weeks called to inform me that my claim was denied. Mr. Weeks was very polite and professional, which makes me think that he has a split personality or he is a man of two faces, and I suspect this conversation was recorded.
When I purchased these tires I also purchased life time balance and rotation, at $8.00 each. This week I returned to your store requested and received a refund for this service, because your technecians will never touch my car again. This is the first week that my wife and I have not shopped at your store since it originally opened in Del Rio, TX. When you consider this times 52 weeks a year and the influence my experience has had on family and friends, it would have made better business sense to fix my wheel. I do not go about making frivolous claims. Very Sincerely Yours.......Ted Hyder

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
All claims adjusters are two-faced like that. If he settled your claim his commission would have been lower. That's how he makes a living. Multiple personalities is the only way he can sleep at night. Buy your new replacement wheel, get another shop to swap it out and present Wal Mart with the bill. If they don't pay (which they probably won't), it's time to file a small claim where they will also pay court costs when the JP finds in your favor. Wal Mart's insurance company will take ALL damages, including their attorney fees, out of Jeff Week's commission and he will have to rethink how he gets his business done if he wants to remain employed. Don't worry if you make mistakes. The more times you drag Wal Mart's attorneys into JP court before the final judgement, the bigger Jeff Week's financial penalty will be.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
What a story. They won't own up to it? I would definitely go the small claims court route. Worth the $5.00 to file. Would also report them to the BBB. What a pain. :anim_25:

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
I have a friend that works for an insurance company, its their job to make it hard for a claim to go through, usually it ends there as the complaintant doesn't pursue it any further.
I would call back & ask for another claim person to review the case, then if nothing gets done request to complain to the manager of the department, definitely keep at them as they have a case to answer for.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have to ask............

Why would you take your relatively new Lexus to WalMart for tires?

I've never owned a Lexus, but I've owned a number of cars with "fancy" (expensive :D ) aluminum/mag wheels, and always go to a professional tire store, or in my case to a specialty Corvette shop.

I wouldn't trust WalMart to touch any "mag" wheel........

In all honesty, I wouldn't trust them to do anything in the automotive repair arena either.

That being said, they should buy you a new wheel........no questions asked.

Chuck

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to ask............

Why would you take your relatively new Lexus to WalMart for tires?

I've never owned a Lexus, but I've owned a number of cars with "fancy" (expensive :D ) aluminum/mag wheels, and always go to a professional tire store, or in my case to a specialty Corvette shop.

I wouldn't trust WalMart to touch any "mag" wheel........

In all honesty, I wouldn't trust them to do anything in the automotive repair arena either.

That being said, they should buy you a new wheel........no questions asked.

Chuck
I had a long ways to go with a short time to get there. No Discount Tire in Del Rio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
At one time , I built and operated a quick lube shop. I fired an employee
for incompetence. He became Manager of the local Walmart auto service!

·
Registered
283 Posts
He's Right!

All claims adjusters are two-faced like that. If he settled your claim his commission would have been lower. That's how he makes a living. Multiple personalities is the only way he can sleep at night. Buy your new replacement wheel, get another shop to swap it out and present Wal Mart with the bill. If they don't pay (which they probably won't), it's time to file a small claim where they will also pay court costs when the JP finds in your favor. Wal Mart's insurance company will take ALL damages, including their attorney fees, out of Jeff Week's commission and he will have to rethink how he gets his business done if he wants to remain employed. Don't worry if you make mistakes. The more times you drag Wal Mart's attorneys into JP court before the final judgement, the bigger Jeff Week's financial penalty will be.
Don't mess around. Take it right to small claims court. They will probably pay you before the court date. If they do, take their letter and a copy of the check to the court and the court will get your court costs back for you..

I've been through this before.

Best of luck,

John

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
"Wal Mart's insurance company will take ALL damages, including their attorney fees, out of Jeff Week's commission and he will have to rethink how he gets his business done if he wants to remain employed. Don't worry if you make mistakes. The more times you drag Wal Mart's attorneys into JP court before the final judgement, the bigger Jeff Week's financial penalty will be."

You don't really believe this is the way it works, do you? :confused0006:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Pretty close.

Oh and when they finally have to compensate you, watch out: they'll still try to make you go through hoops and pulling tricks to avoid the final transfer of funds. But at least by then you have the JP judge on your side.

Also make sure the Wal Mart auto department staff remembers who you are (in a low key kind of way) because now you can bring in all your cars and your friends cars and they WILL NOT mess it up EVER AGAIN. If they refuse to work on your cars, so document and have it done elsewhere and sue WalMart again for the charges for not fixing your car. After you've done it the first time it gets easier and you will have ultimately done WalMart and your community a favor.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Around here you can get a damaged wheel repaired for $90.00 So look into that first.

My son bought a one year old Chevy Blazer and took it to Circuit City for a keyless entry alarm. Upon leaving the store after the installation he noticed that his Airbag light was lit. He returned to the store and was told he had to take it to the dealer to have the computer reset. He left the car with the dealer and was told the next day that Circuit City spliced into a computer line for the installation and it took out the computer. No warranty and a $1200 repair. They insisted that he return the car to the store to have the alarm removed before they would perform the necessary repair.

He presented the out of pocket receipt for the repair and demanded restitution. The manager of the store forwarded it to the insurance company who after a short investigation rejected the claim. My son called me upset about the rejection and I told him that just because the insurance company won't pay doesn't mean they are not responsible. I convinced him to take out a small claims action. When we got to court Circuit City was represented by a lawyer (who told me $150 per hour X 5 hours in court waiting for the case to be called), the store manager, the department manager and the mechanic, all on the clock. My son presented the bill to the Judge and call the mechanic to the stand. He asked about his certification (none) training (none) and rested his case. The Judge ruled in my sons favor for the judgement and all court costs. BTW the court room was packed with small claims litigants and you could hear the horror in the room as the case was discussed. What bad press for Circuit City!

So in short just because the insurance company turns down your claim doesn't mean Walmart is off the hook....sue for damages to your car.

Don

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
no they are not! I was a claim agent for 28 yrs and treated people fairly. That's like saying all cops are crooks with a badge. I would never take a nice car to Wal Mart, you're asking for trouble. Take them to small claims court

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I uploaded a picture to my album, Qwazzy's album, because I don't now how to put pictures in a post.
I tried looking, but couldn't find the pic.

Sorry if I seemed to come down on you too hard. I didn't know the circumstances, i.e., you were stuck and couldn't go anywhere else.

Many years ago, on one of my C4 Corvettes, either the 88 or the 92, I had tires put on at a Corvette specialty shop in the town where I worked. I have known the owner for 35 years. He's still a friend. He is also retired here in Florida now................ but, I digress.. :D

He broke one of my wheels. Not just scratched it....broke the rim. My buddy called me at work and gave me the bad news. He had already called around and got his hands on a mint condition used wheel. No cost to me. He had to eat it.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
no they are not! I was a claim agent for 28 yrs and treated people fairly. That's like saying all cops are crooks with a badge. I would never take a nice car to Wal Mart, you're asking for trouble. Take them to small claims court
Comparing a claims adjuster to a cop is pushing it a little.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts