Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve learned in life that, when you ask for the ridiculous, you usually end up getting laughed at – but, every once in awhile, you get what you’re looking for. So, here goes:

I have a ’55 Bel Air that’s all original except for the wrong year 235. I have a ‘55 engine I can rebuild that’s pretty close. But, before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had the ‘perfect’ engine:

1. ’55 235 stick engine from Tonawanda – a “T55Z” serial number.
2. Casting date between mid January and mid February – the last week of January or first week of February would be perfect.
3. Known to be in running condition, though it may need rebuilt. No overheating, oil in water/water in oil, filled with water from sitting out in the rain, or other serious issues.
4. Has never been rebored.
5. Located within 300-400 miles of Raleigh, NC.
6. And of course – cheap to reasonably priced.

I don’t expect to find the ‘perfect’ engine. But, you never know until you ask. Maybe someone out there pulled such an engine out of a low mileage, original ’55 so they could install a V8. So, I’m asking.

It’s also possible someone has the perfect engine that’s already been rebuilt (with a minimal overbore), and has been run just enough to know there’s no problems. I’m open to that as well. (I don’t have to rebuild the engine myself, but I do need to know it’s been done correctly. I only want to do this job once.)

And, if you don’t have the perfect engine, but have something that’s close that you’d like to get rid of – shoot me a PM and tell me what you’ve got.

See the photos for a sample Tonawanda engine serial number and February date code. The serial number is located next to the distributor clamp, while the date code is behind the starter. (’m not planning on using this engine, because it may or may not clean up with an .060 overbore.)

FWIW, I have a correct date-code Flint engine that’s .040 over and not too many miles put on it before it was parked in the late ‘60s. The only reason I’m pausing before rebuilding it is because Baltimore cars usually had Tonawanda engines. I know – picky, picky…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
I’ve learned in life that, when you ask for the ridiculous, you usually end up getting laughed at – but, every once in awhile, you get what you’re looking for. So, here goes:

I have a ’55 Bel Air that’s all original except for the wrong year 235. I have a ‘55 engine I can rebuild that’s pretty close. But, before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had the ‘perfect’ engine:

1. ’55 235 stick engine from Tonawanda – a “T55Z” serial number.
2. Casting date between mid January and mid February – the last week of January or first week of February would be perfect.
3. Known to be in running condition, though it may need rebuilt. No overheating, oil in water/water in oil, filled with water from sitting out in the rain, or other serious issues.
4. Has never been rebored.
5. Located within 300-400 miles of Raleigh, NC.
6. And of course – cheap to reasonably priced.

I don’t expect to find the ‘perfect’ engine. But, you never know until you ask. Maybe someone out there pulled such an engine out of a low mileage, original ’55 so they could install a V8. So, I’m asking.

It’s also possible someone has the perfect engine that’s already been rebuilt (with a minimal overbore), and has been run just enough to know there’s no problems. I’m open to that as well. (I don’t have to rebuild the engine myself, but I do need to know it’s been done correctly. I only want to do this job once.)

And, if you don’t have the perfect engine, but have something that’s close that you’d like to get rid of – shoot me a PM and tell me what you’ve got.

See the photos for a sample Tonawanda engine serial number and February date code. The serial number is located next to the distributor clamp, while the date code is behind the starter. (’m not planning on using this engine, because it may or may not clean up with an .060 overbore.)

FWIW, I have a correct date-code Flint engine that’s .040 over and not too many miles put on it before it was parked in the late ‘60s. The only reason I’m pausing before rebuilding it is because Baltimore cars usually had Tonawanda engines. I know – picky, picky…
Give this one a shot. :anim_25:

"original untouched 1955 6 cyl. motor and 3 spd.transmission from legit 23k mile car,runs perfect,still in car,come hear it run before I do v8 swap.Motor $500,trans. $200"
http://www.trifive.com/classified/showproduct.php?product=5893

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.