Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a third member/differential for a 55 with a powerglide trans. According to the books it would need to be stamped on the right side with AB or BB also would like to find the correct date code:
AB 3XX to AB 5XX or
BB 3XX to BB 5XX

Over the weekend I was checking out some stamping/casting numbers on some of the main components and found that the 3rd member which was installed, is an AA code (for a 3sp trans). I knew back in the early 80's my dad swapped out the one that came in the car when he bought it, due to it making a growling noise. I also dug out the one that was in it when he purchased the car in 79 and it was also stamped an AA code. I was somewhat disappointed that neither of them are correct. I know it wouldn't make that much difference functionally to keep the AA code in it, but I would like to try to make the car correct as possible. I'm very new to the site and figured I'd try here first.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
55 Rear end

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a third member/differential for a 55 with a powerglide trans. According to the books it would need to be stamped on the right side with AB or BB also would like to find the correct date code:
AB 3XX to AB 5XX or
BB 3XX to BB 5XX

Over the weekend I was checking out some stamping/casting numbers on some of the main components and found that the 3rd member which was installed, is an AA code (for a 3sp trans). I knew back in the early 80's my dad swapped out the one that came in the car when he bought it, due to it making a growling noise. I also dug out the one that was in it when he purchased the car in 79 and it was also stamped an AA code. I was somewhat disappointed that neither of them are correct. I know it wouldn't make that much difference functionally to keep the AA code in it, but I would like to try to make the car correct as possible. I'm very new to the site and figured I'd try here first.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Ryan
I have a fresh rebuilt 55 pumpkin with mint 3:36 gears. I'll go check the numbers and get back to you. It is advertised and pictured on this site
I rebuild these and transmissions for a living
Garys Gearbox

gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.