Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my '56, to go on the 9", I need XB or earlier drum brake backing plates (with round hole for wheel cylinder mount). The backing plates I need can come off a Borg Warner - not looking for GTHO parts.

I'm not familiar with all the details about Ford brakes, but the XC or later set I have won't accommodate the wheel cylinders I want to use.

Any one have any they'd like to sell? Not sure what they are really worth, but was hoping to pay approx $25.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I do not have any however have you tried pick-a-part in Kilsyth ,maybe Imlacks in Clayton or Faimont Gear in Oakleigh.
Just a thought If you are looking for the backing plates that suit the finned brake drums you may want to look at the later model Ford Marquee or fairlane as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mate, If you can find them the XA and XB utes had a finned 2.5" wide drum. a lot of wheeler dealers sell them as GT brakes but they were on utes as well. Alternately the XE and XF discs will go straight on, maybe some others as well. Thats the way Id go if fitting a 9"

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a set of backing plates ,shoes with all the springs, and drums as well probaly even have the correct wheel cylinders if you have HQ holden front brakes. But probably not worth the postage.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris, appreciate the response.

I actually managed to find a set on Saturday in the next town over from here which turned out lucky.

I'm running the 7/8 wheel cylinders as you mention. I was going to try the 13/16 cylinders and see how they went with the backing plates I had. I cleaned up the XC breaks I had and assembled with new cylinders and only then realised the XC-F flare fitting is not 45 degree and I dont have a tool for that. At that pont, figured I better go back to the original plan. So had to clean up a second set of backing plates...

Thanks for the offer 'though.

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Glad you were able to quickly solve your problem....my luck just doesn't run like that....:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.