Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, quick question. my 55 bel air convert with power pack 2 speed auto. fully restored and it has a oil pressure gauge with the clear oil line and is leaking a little. isnt this aftermarket? i have a oil light on the dash i think. the gauge to me isnt stock, not even period correct. you guys and gals think i should run a gauge anyhow for safety reasons? and if so, can i or should i change to an electrical unit so there is no oil leaks or chance of it.
sorry for the ramble on. I am confused too. let me know what you think.
thanks all.

Zan

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Guage NOT Stock

hi all, quick question. my 55 bel air convert with power pack 2 speed auto. fully restored and it has a oil pressure gauge with the clear oil line and is leaking a little. isnt this aftermarket? i have a oil light on the dash i think. the gauge to me isnt stock, not even period correct. you guys and gals think i should run a gauge anyhow for safety reasons? and if so, can i or should i change to an electrical unit so there is no oil leaks or chance of it.
sorry for the ramble on. I am confused too. let me know what you think.
thanks all.

Zan
Nope, a pressure gauge is not stock on a tri-five. I prefer actual gauge rather than "Oil Light", historically referred to as "idiot light", I also prefer an actual pressure reading using a line from the block rather than the electrical pressure switch that goes to an Analog Gauge, but still second choice over the idiot light. If I were you I'd repair the line and continue use of the actual pressure gauge, be sure to reroute the line where it's not on anything HOT.. :eek:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
No, it wasn't stock to have an oil pressure gauge but a lot of owners have installed them... I have one in my 56 and it is electric because I too don't need an interior oil leak... Later, Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts