Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - not much paint left on mine. Only a small patch. It is silver. I suppose any shade of silver will do. Come to think of it, not much metal left either. I soaked it in Eastwood's Fast Etch for two days and the rust is almost all gone but you can see what shape the lid is in. No one offers this one. I have found a couple of generic jar lids this size (4.75" - one gallon) on Ebay but they don't have a smooth top. I think I might be able to make them work anyway, they just won't be embossed like this. The original is embossed in reverse from the back side so that the text stands proud. I have a letter stamp set but if I use it the letters will be stamped from above. I doubt if anyone but a purist would know the difference.
Organism Paint Gas Tints and shades Circle

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Eckler's has two different types ($61 - $75), but neither matches exactly what you have (pedal/water).
EBay has several as well, with and without the pump mechanism, jar and mounting bracket, but no exact match.

Post #6 has a picture of one that matches your design.

·
Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a bag (5 lids) of 4.75" diameter one gallon jar lids off of Ebay. Next I made a drawing of the lid and had a really good friend with a machine shop to drill it and mill out the fill hole. Then I stamped the text, media blasted it and clear coated it. After I media blasted it I noticed that it was close to the right color without painting it so I opted to clear coat the bare metal. Next I will cut out the holes in the lid liner and glue it in place. I think it will end well. There are three types of washer lids. The other two types are available as a repo but I was not able to find this one. This is the one that uses a foot pump near the dimmer switch. I am attaching a drawing in case someone else needs to make one for their car.

Audio equipment Blank media Circle Dvd CD

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was hoping no one would notice. Can't you imagine the scene twenty or thirty years from now when someone buys this car from my grandkids and notices that and posts on this site that it was a factory error and is worth a lot of money because it is the only one like it! 🤩

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
11,041 Posts
That color looks like Rustoleum Stainless Steel from a rattle can. I really like that color. Time will tell how long it will last on my master cylinder. I've used the color for a few non car related projects.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As long as the surface was cleaned well that paint should last for years, especially since it is not exposed to the weather. The filling hole cover on my washer bottle lid was badly rusted and even had some small pin holes in it. I lightly media blasted it, painted it with Rustoleum Rust Converter and a coat of Rustoleum Radiator silver paint. It will not be an exact match to the lid but the paint will fill the pin holes.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
11,041 Posts
It was cleaned well and followed up with carb cleaner spray. My concern about the paint is from me getting brake fluid on it.

I like that color so much because it doesn't look like I'm trying to match anything and was off a bit. It gives it a little contrast to the shinier stuff. Might even put it on a Q-Jet I'm thinking of putting back on.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have sprayed carbs with DupliColor clear engine paint. It is formulated to withstand petroleum products and temps up to 500 degrees. So far, so good. I don't know if it will withstand brake fluid. That stuff is pretty bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts