Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i remove the breather and cover the carb in plastic can i spray wash the engine with one of those high pressure washers ???thank you

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Well, atleast I have....just dont spray direct to distributor etc.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
I have washed quite a few engine bays the same way. Sprayed degreaser everywhere, let set awhile, and washed with a hose. Sometimes the distributer will "sweat" inside, and car won't start. If so, pop the cap and dry with a hair dryer, or blow out with air. :anim_25:

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
have done it with a hose, just be careful. :anim_25:

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I usually cover the alternator, carb and distributor cap with plastic bags, held with elastic.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I use simple green or purple power every ninety days on my daily drivers. Use a brush on the heavy spots if you have a lot of build up.

If I get a new (used) vehicle and have heavy deposits, I start with an engine cleaner and brush that good. Careful with these as they have a lot of distillates in them. No need for a pressure washer using these methods. Pressure washers will no doubt get water in places you don't want it

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I pop the hood and let it have it, you dont neet to cover anything, I do try to avoid direct spray on dist. I have done this hundreds of times, works best if you find a car wash with pre soak.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
If you get the distributor wet, Remove the cap and spray wd 40 on it. Put it back together and it will start right up. WD 40 is a water displacement. :anim_25:bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I generally try to avoid using the high pressure hose within the engine bay itself, i find best results and safest are using degreaser and then using a normal hose with pressure fitting, the for the undernside go nuts with degreaser and high pressure cleaner which is away from any electricals.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
As already mentioned, the best way I've found is use Simple green on a cold engine, let it "work" for just a couple of minutes and carefully hose if off. Blow off the excess water with an air hose or leaf blower. Leave the hood up and start it, then warm the engine up with the hood still up. That'll dry her out without holding in the moisture. After that you should be good to go.:flag6: Blake

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you get the distributor wet, Remove the cap and spray wd 40 on it. Put it back together and it will start right up. WD 40 is a water displacement. :anim_25:bowtie-trifive :gba:
I spray WD-40 in the cap before washing the engine bay, never had a no start issue, also I put a plastic bag over the dist. and tuck it down between the plug wires as well as cover the alternator and air cleaner with a plastic bag and secure it with an elastic strap.
When using a pressure or power washer when near critical(carb, alt and dist) areas I don't use the high pressure spray by squeezing the handle just the low pressure spray.

Be sure and rinse very well if using any cleaning solution or a soap spray if at a car wash.:) oh, and if you have chrome or aluminum engine components or chrome radiator support plan on several hours of polishing and buffing to remove the inevitable water spots in the engine bay and on the body paint:sign0020: and some more time if you use a pressure washer at home, cleaning the driveway off of the grit and grime rinsed off the car before your wife climbs all over you about it:sign0020:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Another option is if you have a place that works on the big rigs near you they often have a steam cleaning setup. We have one such place near us and for $50 they did my entire engine bay and underside, they cleaned the engine bay, put the car on the lift and then cleaned the entire underside...the engine bay and underside hadn't been that clean since shortly after the car was rebuilt:)

·
Premium Member
13,579 Posts
I grew up with a do-it-yourself dad that planted the "never get water near engine" seed in me. Later I found myself very anal about dirty engine compartments so I found a way to wash them out without causing too many problems. I bought one of these good quality (not cheap plastic) carb covers http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ca...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3efdb2eb67&vxp=mtr, they work real good. Also, I know alot of guys like the simple green stuff but I ruined one of my eng compartments by using it. Be wary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts