Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife's Ford Escape for some warranty work. The service manager called me a few hours later and told me that Ford had voided the warranty due to a junk title being reported on Car-Fax. Car-Fax showed that NJ had issued a junk title to the vehicle March 2010. We purchased the vehicle in 2009 and have titled and registered it in Texas every year since then.

I filed a protest with Car-Fax on Friday, got an email Monday saying they were investigating it. I received an email this morning that they had finished their investigation and the junk title report had been removed!!

Great Work Car-Fax, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Now I have to get Ford to reinstate the 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
A little scary that Ford depends on CarFax for stuff like this.

Of course, it has to be true if it's on the Internet!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little scary that Ford depends on CarFax for stuff like this.

Of course, it has to be true if it's on the Internet!
I believe that all the manufacturers and dealers use other services... no need to duplicate what they can pay a smaller fee to use. Ford has a system called Oasis that is used to track their vehicles history. I suspect that Oasis is linked to Car-Fax and Auto-Check to automatically update any vehicle that is covered under the original warranty or extended care warranty. However, to remove a bad report probably requires a human :) I do have an advantage that I buy all my modern vehicles through the Ford Dealer auctions through my cousin who is a Ford dealer. I am a GM person by heart but who can refuse a almost new vehicle at dealer cost :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That means some other junker from NJ used your history for their benefit and someone else will get a bogus report from carfax. It also suggests the possibility of a more far-reaching counterfeiting scam out there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Car-Fax stinks. A friend of mine bought a used car a few years ago. Ran a car-fax prior to purchasing it and the report came back clean. He went to sell it recently and a prospective buyer said car-fax showed it had a salvage title in Mass. My friend had saved his car-fax, he showed it and the NJ title to the buyer and the buyer bought the car. The NJ title in hand was clean. Worked out in the end, luckily. Like *** Car-Fax????????

Again, the salvage title history wasn't there when my friend bought the car and the Mass title from who he made the purchase made no mention on it of being a salvage vehicle.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
Is it a matter of people washing titles by registration or selling in another state to get a clean title? I have heard of that.

Car-fax is only as good as the info that is input into it. IE if you damage your car and have no police report or ins. claim and you pay for it then it will not show up as its not reported so they have no clue.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Insurance companies....

are NOT routinely reporting info to car-fax. Seems owners in many states can get a reduced value judgement against their own insurance company, if the company elects to repair your vehicle and give it back to you. It can be repaired just as good as new, but they have to make you "whole" again, cause now you're the owner of a prior wrecked car ---which is worth less.

·
Registered
37,259 Posts
Maybe we should give Edward Snowden a pardon and get him to work for Carfax. Or just nationalize Carfax and turn it over to the NSA.

Seriously, if there's a system, it can be broken and corrupted.

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
We had Carfax on our version of 60 minutes, wasnt pretty alot of shonky deals with alot of people out of pocket

·
Registered
67,764 Posts
glad it worked out for you in the end. :tu

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I posted this before, but will be short. My daughter got rears ended in her 2013 Equinox with 1400 miles on it. The police report sent $400.00 damage to Car Fax. Total repairs were almost $16,000. We winded up fighting the insurance company that hit her and got $6315.00 for diminished value. She traded for a new one and came out whole. The Chevy dealer where the insurance company had it repaired would not report the actual repairs to Car Fax. When I asked them about a trade allowance they low balled us because they said they could not certify it for warranty.
Glad we have a good and reasonable Chevy dealer at home who worked with us.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
On a positive note:

I have seen Car Fax save a couple of people from unscrupulous dealers buying used cars.

I also used it to verify the mileage on the LS engine I bought.
Lots of people don't realize that some of the LS engines have enough info to pinpoint the exact car they came from.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what you get for buying a F&*d
It has nothing to do with being a Ford.... I am a Chevy person from the first car I owned, 1934 Chevy 4dr Master! However, when you have a cousin that owns a dealership and he sells you cars at $500 about his cost AND allows me to go to dealer auctions to purchase vehicles, including 3 motor homes, I will buy what is the best deal. My daily driver is a Lincoln Navigator SUV... which I could not justify without being able to purchase at wholesale!

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
On a positive note:

I have seen Car Fax save a couple of people from unscrupulous dealers buying used cars.

I also used it to verify the mileage on the LS engine I bought.
Lots of people don't realize that some of the LS engines have enough info to pinpoint the exact car they came from.
If you have the VIN for the motor, then you can run it. It will get it close to the mileage when it was totaled. Which is a nice tool.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I would post an update to the Car-Fax delima since I got it finally solved!!

I filed with the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Department with photos of the vehicle, photos of the VIN, a copy of the title and registration. They completed their investigation in 4 days and sent me back a letter by next day UPS. The vehicle was orignally titled in New Jersey as a rental car by Avis, which I already knew, then brought to Texas by Avis. Avis and all the big rental car companies only keep their vehicles for a certain amount of mileage then they go back through the manufacturer to be auctioned, which is where I purchased the car, i.e. a Ford Dealer Auction.

When I titled the vehicle in Texas, Texas DMV notified the NJ MVD that the vehcile was now registerd in Texas... but the clerk in NJ input the code as being salvaged in Texas... NJ has corrected their database, now to get Ford to correct theirs but that should be down within a couple of days as all they are waiting on is the letter from NJ MVD!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts