Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a lift mechanism for a crane, the main cylinder is contaminated with foam. Any suggestion on how to flush it ? It hold ten gallons. I thought about diesel fuel, but not sure if it would be volatile under pressure in the system.

Thanks

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
Diesel fuel, kerosene, or a solvent of that weight/type would be appropriate.

Don't attempt to run it to flush. Biggest thing is to drain the tank and flush it.

If you had a lot of water, disconnect all the hoses and flush them. If you can manually lower and raise the the cylinders, try to flush them.

Here's what I would usually do though. I'd clean the tank with solvent after draining. Then refill and change the filters and run all the components (cylinders in and out) at no load. Look to see if the fluid still has the milkshake look. If so, change it a second time, and do the filters again too.

If a component has failed due to this, a complete tear down and flush might be in order. Otherwise do the above.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel fuel, kerosene, or a solvent of that weight/type would be appropriate.

Don't attempt to run it to flush. Biggest thing is to drain the tank and flush it.

If you had a lot of water, disconnect all the hoses and flush them. If you can manually lower and raise the the cylinders, try to flush them.

Here's what I would usually do though. I'd clean the tank with solvent after draining. Then refill and change the filters and run all the components (cylinders in and out) at no load. Look to see if the fluid still has the milkshake look. If so, change it a second time, and do the filters again too.

If a component has failed due to this, a complete tear down and flush might be in order. Otherwise do the above.
OK, thanks Rick. My big concern was an explosive situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts