Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
small block chev rad in 6 cyl position havent bought a water pump yet want to mount on passenger side. .suggestions? does it matter? and i have no holes in my heads to mount a bracket..
thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Not sure exactly what your looking for but w/P's come in two flavors, short or long. Your accessorie drive will determine which one you need.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Sounds like you want a long water pump for a radiator in front of the crossbar. You will still probably have to add a spacer to get the fan close to the radiator.

Not sure what you want to mount on the passenger side? Alternator? There are lots of GM brackets about with the alternator on the passenger side, plus aftermarket. Not having holes in the heads makes for some restrictions but its doable.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I don't understand why there is no holes in the head for bracketry ?
Early heads didn't have all the holes. They mounted the accessories off the water pump bolts.
I am thinking about switching to a long water pump. I think the bracket work better and I am having a hard time getting the PS to line up.
Thats exactly why GM went to the long water pump. When cars started having AC and PS things got real tight behind the radiator.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if a one belt drive (h20 and alt ) the speedway alt bracket is tops in looks and mounts to head for 79$
you can mount their fan shroud kit to back of rad support for a clean install to

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
small block chev rad in 6 cyl position havent bought a water pump yet want to mount on passenger side. .suggestions? does it matter? and i have no holes in my heads to mount a bracket..
thanks in advance
If you are going to stay with you present heads, then go with the short pump & brackets. If you ever intend to use later model heads then bite the bullet and go with the later heads, long pump and brackets. Don't build yourself in a corner trying to mix. There is no real need to move the radiator forward, it fit for the General in '55. If you just want the radiator forward, add a fan shroud and stick with your heads and a short pump, as original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts