Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm going to take out and either rebuild or replace my water pump in my stock V-8 1957 Bel Air but I can't find any good diagrams or photos to help me along. The Assembly Manual doesn't seem to even have a diagram of the water pump.

Is this such a simple job that "no pics are necessary" is about the only help I'll ever find?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
It is a fairly simple job. Before you loosen the fan belt loosen the bolts on the fan blades. Remove the fan and fan belt and pulley. Two bolts on each side and the water pump should fall off. 1/2 inch wrench for fan bolts and 9/16 for water pump bolts. Drain your coolant first.
Dave

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. When you say "loosen the bolts on the fan blades," are you saying I should just loosen them or take them out? Sorry for the simple question, but I've never done this before and I don't want to do something that I will regret.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Dave! I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I can get to it tomorrow or maybe not until later in the week.

1,544 Posts
water pump

Replacing your water pump is fairly simple, rebuilding it yourself is something else, generally it's the seal that goes bad and the pully must be removed in order to remove the impeller shaft to gain access to the seal, as cheap as water pumps are I suggest you go to your nearest parts store and buy one either new or rebuilt.

·
Administrator
49,371 Posts
Mike changing the water pump isn`t real hard or too involved. Drain the radiator first and then from there its pretty easy. Be sure to put a little rtv on the bolt threads when reinstalling them. It bolts on like the one in my pics on page 15 or 16.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Terry, looks like I should be able to handle this one.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking forward to it...then I'll do something else like the fuel pump or whatever....there's always another project!

·
Administrator
49,371 Posts
Mike thats why we have to keep adding that green stuff to our billfolds. So we can go to the next project. I`ve done called my vendor and have him bringing a fan shroud to the swap meet for me this weekend. I`m ready, haven`t been to a swap meet in nearly 2 months.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Water pump should be coming off this weekend...NAPA has a new one to replace it with for under $50, reman. for under $30. I'm going to take the one I pull off of it over to NAPA so I get the right one.

Should I get hoses and other stuff, too?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dseale4888 said:
I would replace hoses while in there with the coolant drained.
Dave
That's what I was thinking...seems like the perfect time to do it.

·
Administrator
49,371 Posts
And my personal taste is to replace with new, not reman. I have had a few let downs with the remans and so i never use anything but new with water pumps. Not that much more and cooling the engine is too critical to chance it.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave - I've been watching college football all day so I'll have to see to the water pump tomorrow!

Terry - I think I'll follow your advice and get a new one. The price isn't too much higher.

·
Administrator
49,371 Posts
Mike my experience has been over the years to have 1 or 2 remans fail right after install. Which means new coolant again, more time and the chance to burn up your engine if not noticed that its leaking.
Terry

1 - 20 of 53 Posts