Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 belair 3 inch chop, history unknown...
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! both my 55 Belair and my 2015 Camaro are black...also I live in an area where the water has a high minerial content, about half the time I wash them they come out looking worse than before I washed them due to white water spots, using a shamie to dry the car,or waxing when dry does zero to remove them,I remembered one time when I bought a new black Silverado out of the show room the salesman telling me they used windex on it to keep it looking good in the showroom,I have been doing that as it works prior to waxing after every wash...I saw a youtube video from a pro detailer who uses Meguiars liquid wheel cleaner diluted with water at a 5:1 ratio and it looked like it worked pretty good, anyone ever heard of this? I wonder which if either is best for the paint? and what do you guys and gals use? Terry

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Why not use a duster and a detailing product between waxes... and when you wash, do it in the shade --- 1 panel or area at a time. Since my '38 (non-metallic dark colors) was painted 8 years ago I've almost exclusively used Wizard's detail spray (smells addictive) and I spot wax here and there (mostly surfaces that face forward. Lots of miles and its share of road rash.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not use a duster and a detailing product between waxes... and when you wash, do it in the shade --- 1 panel or area at a time. Since my '38 (non-metallic dark colors) was painted 8 years ago I've almost exclusively used Wizard's detail spray (smells addictive) and I spot wax here and there (mostly surfaces that face forward. Lots of miles and its share of road rash.
View attachment 331887
Beautiful 38!! i was just scrambling to find a pic of the 38 chev sedan gasser style I had in the 80s but didnt find it,
I dont wash the cars that often so I shouldnt complain but they just seem to get dirty or a cat jumps on them even though indoors and must be washed..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had a painter tell me years ago that the best thing to remove water spots was ..............................water.
Terry
makes sense I guess but a wet rag wouldnt take them off with my water, they are like little white "glue" drops..in 2012 my citys water was voted best tasting water in america according to the internet but it has a high mineral content..things like plumbing and toilets get a blue green stain thats nearly impossible to get rid of over time,nice healthy water I guess but cars dont like it..

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For my Black 55 I have a local guy that sells lots of cleaning items and cleaning fluids. He recommends washing small sections with cold water (not dish soap) with microfiber cloths, then wiping down with another clean microfiber cloth. He sell a ceramic coating that when applied dusting, with one of his fluffy towels is all that is really required.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Our water is also hard, over 400 ppm. I solve the spot issue by final wipe down w/ a slightly damp chamois.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I dont wash the cars that often so I shouldnt complain but they just seem to get dirty or a cat jumps on them even though indoors and must be washed.
A cat jumps on them?!?!?!? AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!! So as not to spark outrage and condemnation, I'll just say that does not happen to my cars - period. Unless you want scratches, claw gouges and fur everywhere, I'd find some way to remedy that issue. As for hard water - no problem using it to wash, in fact use plenty of water to soften and rinse the dirt off the surface with the help of a microfiber cloth or a very soft sponge that is constantly checked for debris. On large glossy surfaces (roof, fat fenders, big hoods, doors) I use a water blade, then a big soft cotton towel. Microfiber doesn't absorb the water as well, and a cotton towel doesn't leave streaks. A waxed car can be cleaned more quickly and easily and look better after than one that isn't. I try to never let the '38 get too dirty, keep it wiped off with the Wizard detail spray - then drive it! I dislike the bug nicks and road rash - but it's the price of driving and enjoying the car, and one I'll pay.
JR

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yep, I know a car cover hehe..once in a while a cat sneaks in the garage,or if I leave it parked out 15 min ..the convertible top of the camaro is always my worry,so far they have never made it that far...yes I can do a better job with the cats..I always wax after a wash but I live next to a dirt alley and dust always gets in the garage among other things..that 38 is truly beautiful!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yep, I know a car cover hehe..once in a while a cat sneaks in the garage,or if I leave it parked out 15 min ..the convertible top of the camaro is always my worry,so far they have never made it that far...yes I can do a better job with the cats..I always wax after a wash but I live next to a dirt alley and dust always gets in the garage among other things..that 38 is truly beautiful!
I didn't mean to ignore your compliment (now two) about the '38. I appreciate it, and thank you. I included the picture only to show that a shine is possible on a frequently driven car - even with black paint. I have only waxed the entire car maybe twice; it gets spot waxed depending on use, and not frequently. I use the Wizard Mist-N-Shine a lot. I do use car covers to mitigate dust while in the shop or garage...but I also keep doors closed and have good seals on them. As for cats - I suppose it's a choice to have them around or not...I choose to not. Your sedan is unique and looks great...IMO worth the effort to preserve, and definitely worth driving and enjoying.
JR

·
Registered
246 Posts
I keep a spray bottle of distilled water handy and use it after a cruise on bugs . I have had water spots after washing on black 55 I could only get out with polish. I don't wash often but use duster and then distilled water to spray then wipe down. I think some of the detail sprays have a wax in them so I only use after cleaning first.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I've observed one good trait that my bloodhound has....I've never seen him on the roof of my 55! 😁
But, as long as he's around, the cats aren't!;)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep a spray bottle of distilled water handy and use it after a cruise on bugs . I have had water spots after washing on black 55 I could only get out with polish. I don't wash often but use duster and then distilled water to spray then wipe down. I think some of the detail sprays have a wax in them so I only use after cleaning first.
The white spots I get are the same way..wax wont remove them, it takes polish or windex,then a wax..im going to steal some of the wifes Distilled water she uses in the iron when she not looking and try that first..thank you everyone for the tips to try! Terry

·
Registered
502 Posts
I live in Scottsdale, AZ we have got to have the poorest quality hard water in the nation. The (TDS) total dissolved solids are the culprit for the white spots here we are at 700-900 TDS the water departments post their water quality. I really cant imagine applying Windex to your paint is going to aid in the quality and longevity and towel drying a black car you will be chasing swirl scratches for ever. I have tried the CR Spotless water De-Ionization system and it works but the resin doesn't last and its too expensive. The Reefers have the same problem but seem to have the best answer for quality water for their salt water fish tanks. I purchased a seven stage RO-DI 75 GPD filter system that removes the TDS. So I make the DI water and store it in 35 gallon tank until needed I just hook up my pressure washer, wash the vehicle and use and electric leaf blower to push the standing water off with no spots, much easier. The DIY car wash places have DI water on the rinse step "don't use any other step" I used to take my car wash stuff with me and wet the vehicle with their spotless DI rinse water, fill the bucket with the DI rinse water with my soap, wash the vehicle and rinse with their spotless DI water and use their dryers. The trucks are a bit more of challenge because of their size and timers at the car wash. Hope this helps.

Black F-150 King Ranch
Red SL-55 AMG

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome advice! thanks!

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
7,526 Posts
You can always wash it while it's raining! Free soft water rinse. But distilled water is only about $1/gallon so even a final rinse with it may work well. I have a little "pump house" with a water softener and tried hooking up my hose to a soft water faucet and it was worse yet, I suppose it was the salt from the softener.

The wash it in the rain came from a Puerto Rican guy I knew and said that's when everyone washes their car down there. Although I think it's a lot warmer there also. ;)

The self service car wash is probaly the best bet. I'd hate to be using windex on that beautiful paint job even if it is followed with wax right away.

Meguiers spray wax/cleaner is some real good stuff. In about 9 years I only used "real" wax on my chrome wheels once when they were new, and maybe once while I had them them off. With the spray, I use two soft long bristle brushes, one damp with the spray, then the dry one to shine it up.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Honestly never thought about a spray bottle of distilled water....great idea. I have always aimed at just not letting any water dry (evaporate) on the paint - that's when the undesirable chemicals bond to the surface. Washing the car out of direct sunlight and one panel at a time allows you to dry it off before any evaporation can occur. Plus, it keeps you from having to use gallons to do the job.
JR

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
You'll be amazed what a clay bar and the lubricant that goes with it will do to your paint. Should get the hard water deposits off. They're not cheap, but oh what a difference!

p.s. If you have soft water in the house, try that and do not wash in the sun. My neighbor had a soft water line run into his garage to wash his cars.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunately the soft water systems don't work here in AZ even a reverse osmosis system alone will not work because the TDS gets through the filter membranes there has to be a DI resin filter. I purchased a filter system from Bulk Reef Supply because of the three separate DI resin filters versus the mixed resin system CR Spotless uses that is prohibitively expensive and excessively inefficient on my wallet. There is one more little trick that works for cars not so much for trucks ever wonder how you vehicle comes out of an automated car wash with no spots there is a no spot rinsing agent added to the water so it releases from the surface. One gallon of concentrate makes 100 gallons and it has wax and it can be applied by spray bottle, dilute with distilled water. Fifteen years experience in AZ to figure out how to fight water spots on my black vehicles.

Amazon.com: Superior Products Formula 4 Spray Wax 1 Gal: Automotive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts