Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitting up all the door rubbers today and get the feeling that the small nylon clips for the rubber weatherseals are not much good.

The barely press in to the holes, and if they do, they instantly seem to loose their grip the edges of the holes in the door. The clips are a sort of flattened 'T' shape with about three rows of barbs/teeth on them. If you put one in and then take it out, the barbs are flattened and rendered useless.

Brand on the packing is California Classic Chevy Parts.

Have made a call to a local (Melbourne, Australia) supplier of auto rubber – and they may have something better.

An earlier version of same sort of part, for another car in the garage, had similar clips except they had a cylindrical shaft and seemed to grab better.

Advice welcome.

·
Administrator
70,863 Posts
Those clips what you describe are common throughout the door rubbers, be careful when pulling them out of the door as they can tear the rubber seal. You may want to look at some additional glue to keep the seal in place.

Originals were metal and would expand when pushed into the hole.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those clips what you describe are common throughout the door rubbers, be careful when pulling them out of the door as they can tear the rubber seal. You may want to look at some additional glue to keep the seal in place.

Originals were metal and would expand when pushed into the hole.
Was not intending to use glue.

That's the thing – the nylon clips I have retract to slide into the holes, but do not expand again to grab.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
John When I did mine, I had the same problem. I was able to get slightly larger plastic clips from a auto trim supplier here called R A Johnson. I'm sure you would have similar suppliers over there. I removed the white clips and replaced them with larger black clips. You will still need to use a glue, though. The weather strips supplied now are too stiff to not need glue. I started using 3m super weatherstrip adhesive, which did not work that well, so in the finish, I used automotive polyurethane adhesive, sika 227 I think, Supercheap have it. This works real well, does not let go at all. Use green masking tape to hold it into position, try to put a little bias so that the weatherstrip has only the minimal load when closed. I just finished treating mine with a Wurth product called Rubber Care, which has softened the weatherstrip and also make the look of the rubber as new. Great for treating old weatherstrip to get it like new again.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
John When I did mine, I had the same problem. I was able to get slightly larger plastic clips from a auto trim supplier here called R A Johnson. I'm sure you would have similar suppliers over there. I removed the white clips and replaced them with larger black clips. You will still need to use a glue, though. The weather strips supplied now are too stiff to not need glue. I started using 3m super weatherstrip adhesive, which did not work that well, so in the finish, I used automotive polyurethane adhesive, sika 227 I think, Supercheap have it. This works real well, does not let go at all. Use green masking tape to hold it into position, try to put a little bias so that the weatherstrip has only the minimal load when closed. I just finished treating mine with a Wurth product called Rubber Care, which has softened the weatherstrip and also make the look of the rubber as new. Great for treating old weatherstrip to get it like new again.
It's time to buy you a beer!

I'm glad it was not just me.

Spoke with an auto rubber place yesterday and they have some clips that will probably do the trick – in the same way you are describing. They are a common part for cars like HRs etc. They are a sort of yellow colour. Same people also had some other candidate clips so they are sending samples by mail.

You know, we can't buy 3M weatherstrip adhesive any more – there's some sort of restriction on shipping it from the US. I have some equivalents from Permatex, also Sikkaflex. Thanks for the heads-up on conditioning the rubber. Will do.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might want to try Rarespares they may have something similiar :anim_25:
Am looking at Scott's Old Auto Rubber and Thompson's Vintage Auto – they have nylon clips used for repro door seals of US and GMH cars from that time.

As a starting point, I want these clips to actually do something towards holding the seals in place – not just locate them for glueing. (Current clips to not actually do that much in any case!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.