Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thread going a while back asking for advice on how to get rid of bindweed, and received lots of good answers...Thanks! Unfortunately, that thread was lost when trifive had its change over, as these things happen, and we all understand :)

The question for today is...how can I spray, or what can I use to spray my driveway, that will kill everything growing in it?

A little context...it is a pretty long gravel drive way (pretty long for being in the city) and I want to keep it gravel, as I love the sound it makes when I walk, or drive on it. So, I am looking for a logical option as this is about 200' of driveway that I want to maintain as weed/plant free.

PS...there are flowers and shrubs on both sides, so it really is just what is growing in the gravel that I want gone.

7,082 Posts
Two opposite ways. 2 gal hand sprayer with Round Up or (not recommended) diesel with a quart of oil. Both work the same, one is much better. Lloyd :bowtier:

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Solo back pack(3 gallon) and Round-up.$200.00 investment for both and will last you a long time.(many uses).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Round-up does a good job of killing weeds. Round-up doesn't work well on water stressed weeds. It is a good idea to water the weeds for a few days before you apply the Round-up to get them growing good. Don't water after you spray.

When you buy Round-up look at the percent of active ingredient. 41% Glyphosate (the active ingredient) is the best value. Concentrations lower than 41% are not a good deal. I like to mix Round-up on the hot side. 50:1 works well. This works out to 2.5 oz of Round-up to 2 Gal of water. It will take a couple of weeks for the weeds to die.

For long term weed control you should mix a pre-emergent herbicide in with the Round-up. Simazine would be a great choice for a gravel driveway, but I am not sure if it is available to the general public. Look for a broad spectrum pre-emergent herbicide and follow the label directions.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
All of the above suggestions are valid. However keep in mind, especially since you live in snow country, if you do kill all the vegetation it makes it very difficult to snowplow in the winter without losing a substantial amount of gravel, since the vegetation locks the gravel in place. If you do plow make sure you use skids on the plow that will raise it at least 1 1/2" to 2" off the ground surface.

Ken 57bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I have a 500 ft gravel drive that i use a herbicide on called KILLZ ALL it is a High Yield brand and does just what the name say's and is cheaper than round up. I suggest mixing in a little surfactant with it. Ivory soap will work fine for your purpose. If you get it applied at least a couple hrs before a rain you are good to go. As long as the temps are at least in the seventies you should start to see yellowing in a couple day's and dead weeds within a week to 10 day's. Mix 2.5 to 3 oz of herbicide and 1.5 oz surfactant per gallon of water.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Troy, how about weeds but not grass or flowers? :bowtier:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
Ya, that would be nice...that bindweed is awful in all my flower beds and garden...

On another note, read up on using regular white vinegar as a weed control, and since today was a holiday (most store closed), and since I had some extra vinegar on hand, I tried it on a small test patch, and two hours later, it was all brown and dead!! Going to give it a week and see what happens...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,729 Posts
I have a buddy that does this stuff for a living.....He recommends this:Hi Yield Killzall ...It is a Non-selective weed and grass killer, contains a double-surfactant formulation that dries on plant fast to start working quickly. Multiple use formulation...near fences, in paths, patios, sidewalks, curbs and driveways. Around ornamental trees, shrubs, flower beds and buildings.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Paraquat......

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
A little context...it is a pretty long gravel drive way (pretty long for being in the city) and I want to keep it gravel, as I love the sound it makes when I walk, or drive on it. QUOTE]

Hey BMT;
I hope people don't drive their jeeps on that!:)

Don

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little context...it is a pretty long gravel drive way (pretty long for being in the city) and I want to keep it gravel, as I love the sound it makes when I walk, or drive on it. QUOTE]

Hey BMT;
I hope people don't drive their jeeps on that!:)

Don
lol...nice cross post!! :sign0020::sign0020:

Na, had a 304 powered '79 CJ7 that I sold many years ago when it was time to start a family. Now have a '64 FJ40 that I have no plans on selling. The engine in the Land Cruiser's was a copy of the Chevy 216-235 :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts