Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

1st time poster here. I'm in the process of building a 55 210 post cruiser. My goal is a reliable ride, utilizing a Weiand 144 supercharger on pump gas. I'm looking at purchasing a GM crate motor, part# 12499529, 350/290 HP. Additional equipment would be automatic transmission, A/C and power steering. Any thoughts or opinions would be greating appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
948 Posts
Welcome

Mark, welcome to trifivedotcom. We love pictures and Q&A. I like your plans. Keep us posted.:sign0016:

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Hello all,

1st time poster here. I'm in the process of building a 55 210 post cruiser. My goal is a reliable ride, utilizing a Weiand 144 supercharger on pump gas. I'm looking at purchasing a GM crate motor, part# 12499529, 350/290 HP. Additional equipment would be automatic transmission, A/C and power steering. Any thoughts or opinions would be greating appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
mark
welcome to tri-5, sounds like u hav a plan already in motion:party0031:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Superchargers need low compression to provide a benefit ... without low compression any amount of boost you will get detonation. Superchargers for the street are a real pain in the ass unless way underdriven and then why have it? A good Z series crate motor will give you 350 hp on pump gas ... Joe

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
WHY?

WHY? Some of us like the Bling factor. I love the blower idea but keep the compression 8.5-9 to 1 for a blower. about 30 degrees total lead with 12 to 14 on the initall using 91 octane. about 220 degrees cam duration but i'd call a manfr. for exact cam choice.but first figure your exact tire size and gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thinking thats what I am going to do with my 283,,just to be cool! :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
The 12499529 is a reasonable basis for a mild supercharger application with a supercharger friendly LCA of 114 degrees and 8.5 compression. But, you will be limited by stock heads and valve springs and cast pistons. The Weiand 144 blower offers easy set up and excellent low down performance in comparison with the larger GM blowers. The smaller blower will build boost faster and therefore make superior power/torque up to around 4000 rpm. In any event, l would not suggest that you spin a blown crate motor beyond 5000.
l would also suggest the following:
• Maximum boost 6-7lbs (you must have a boost gauge)
• Single 750 Holley set up with boost referenced power valves
• Dizzy modified for mechanical advance only (34 deg total advance is OK)
• Minimum 3/8 fuel line and high volume fuel pump
• Pressure diversion valve to vacuum modulator if running an auto
• Minimum 2.25 dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers
You could reasonably expect a 30% power increase just by adding the blower

·
Registered
69 Posts
First time poster as well.I just finnished having a 177 blower 383 stroker instaled in my 55 fits under the hood and is a lot of fun. I still have few things to tweak out but it look like a fun time.
The only other thing i would mention is to have a good set of full lenth headers no smaller than 1' 7/8. she has to breath.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A blower hot rodder once told me "you can never have to big of a blower carb, only too small of one". the bigger the carb, the cooler the motor will run. and since a blower is a huge heat pump, make sure you have a good cooling system, especially if you are going to hang extra accessories off of the pulleys.

I would have a custom carb set up for your application by one of the professional carb builders available online. They can take all of your info on the car and motor and build a carb (or fuel inj) for what you need,,all you do is bolt it on and hit the key basically. I had one built for my N/A 406 and wont hesitate to have another one built.

·
Registered
66,323 Posts
:hello: hi mark and welcome. good to have you here.

·
Registered
66,323 Posts
First time poster as well.I just finnished having a 177 blower 383 stroker instaled in my 55 fits under the hood and is a lot of fun. I still have few things to tweak out but it look like a fun time.
The only other thing i would mention is to have a good set of full lenth headers no smaller than 1' 7/8. she has to breath.
:hello: hi leon and welcome. good to have you here too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Under the Hood

Leon,
You mentioned that your blower fit under the hood, I noticed in the photos of your car that you have a teardrop scoop, did you require the scoop to keep the blower "under the hood"?

You have a nice looking car!!

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Mark, The scoop is not needed for the blower. The original hood is louvered you will be able to see in pics i have added to my album.

I would post them on this reply but have to learn that yet.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
Mark
:sign0016:sounds nice:tu:tu

·
Registered
17 Posts
I say do it.
The GM crate engines are great motors. plenty good for a small blower.
The "Point" is there cool, and fun :tu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts