Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting setup in my 1955 150 and am looking for advice on how to proceed.

I have a leaking 605 power steering box that has three frame bolts and a vertical plate welded to the top of the frame with two more bolts coming from the inner fender well (5 total). Upstream appears to be a tilt, column-shift steering column from a 63/64 full size Chevy. It has a cable-operated turn signal mechanism. It does not have the following items connected: neutral safety switch, 4-way flashers, horn, backup lights (it's a 150, so they're not even there). The column has 1955 trim on it, but it's been mounted upside down to conceal the gear-shift tab underneath. It's topped off with a 15" Bel Air steering wheel.

I think I'm sold on the CPP 500 box, but what to do about the column? Should I try to piece-meal the components to get everything working? Or should I rip it out and put in an $800 Ididit column?

The 63/64 tilt columns appear to be rare, so I may have some resale value in it, but without the interior pieces, I'm not sure. (a complete one is currently on eBay bidding past $490)

Thanks in advance.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Sounds like the column has some big "if's" to me. It might work out, but you need to get some parts to complete it. I have heard good things about the CPP500 box, if you go with that I would stay with CPP and get their column and ask them for what else would be needed to complete it. This way you have a complete system with modern features made for your car.

Randy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a CPP tech-rep today and their new columns for trifive don't seem to have much included. No NSS (and I'd have to have a transmission-mounted one). No 4-way flashers. It would be just as much work to get a CPP column to work as my current setup.

If the CPP rep reads this and has additional info, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
$800 Ididit? Must be alum. I would buy a $450 Ididit and the 500 box. Stay away from any columm from CPP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
weird conversion!

not so weird of a conversion, my name is kyle and I am the rep for ididit here on the tri-fives and I have a few questions for you. If the column needs to be a column shift then the neutral safety switch is included with the column. are you looking for a straight or a tilt column? they are available in both and come in bare steel, chrome, black powder coate, brushed alum, or polished alum. the only other things you should need for install is the wire adapter, the shift indicator, and however you want to hook it up to your new steering box, (u-joint or rag joint). a floor mount is another option available for mounting the column. Other options include a wiper, dimmer, or cruise add ons. Also I would like to add that our columns are 100% MADE IN AMERICA! If there is any other info you need we can help, 517-424-0577 is the number here at ididit and our sales and tech staff will be happy to assist you.:flag6:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
sounds to me like somebody did the conversion in your '55 way back in the 80's, using then current tech. YES, "scrap metal" the 605 box, sell your current column on ebay, BUT it might be modified so the value may be less. just random thoughts.................

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
I have a leaking 605 power steering box that has three frame bolts and a vertical plate welded to the top of the frame with two more bolts coming from the inner fender well (5 total).
It does not have the following items connected: neutral safety switch, 4-way flashers, backup lights (it's a 150, so they're not even there).
As mentioned, welding a bracket to the frame was the typical way of mounting the 605 box, way back when. The brackets will have to be cut off the frame to get the 500 to fit. It mounts the same as the original box.
The neutral safety switch, 4 way flashers, and back-up lights will have to be wired into your car, no matter which column you use. Your column probably has the wiring in the column, just not connected to anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don,

You may have noticed my 605 box inst has something very similar. The box has 3 bolts holding it to a plate...then the plate is bolted (not welded) with three more bolts...to the frame. Bolts that attach the plate and steering box dont go thru the inner fenderwell...but they are tight up against it.

I am assuming...when i swap out the 605 for a CPP 500 this winter, I'll be able to just bolt the 500 box to the frame and get rid of the big heavy plate too?

Tim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Don,

I am assuming...when i swap out the 605 for a CPP 500 this winter, I'll be able to just bolt the 500 box to the frame and get rid of the big heavy plate too?
Tim
Yes, the 500 bolts to the original 3 holes in the frame only. I forgot, do you have stock upper control arms? Some tubular arms cause a clearance problem with the front end of the 500 box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the CPP 500 box a couple of years ago and love it. I have a floor shift with the NSS and the column I used was from RPC, it is decent for the price $300 for chrome and tilt and It has the 4 way flashers. The box goes in like a breeze. Here is a pic of the column

The box is tight but it fits with headers. Mine are patriot 3/4 length

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, the 500 bolts to the original 3 holes in the frame only. I forgot, do you have stock upper control arms? Some tubular arms cause a clearance problem with the front end of the 500 box.
Don,

yes....I've got stock upper control arms. They appear to be new.

Tim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help!

The CPP-500 is on it's way and I guess I have to knock out the additional plate. I hope the bottom three holes line up since it seems to be an early 90's restoration. I get to replace a leaky master cylinder while I'm at it, too.

To save a bit of money, I've decided to keep the current column and add the NSS and bacup light wiring. I just need a couple small parts to get the horn working again and the cancelling cam I found on another website. I'll live without 4-way flashers for a while.

I still have the black, column shift tilt Ididit column on my wishlist...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts