Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was welding in the tailpan and as I struck an arc I heard a loud buzz from my welder. Now no arc of any kind from welder, wire will still feed but no arc. Didn't smell like anything fried. Any clues.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yesterday I was welding in the tailpan and as I struck an arc I heard a loud buzz from my welder. Now no arc of any kind from welder, wire will still feed but no arc. Didn't smell like anything fried. Any clues.
Might try a shop that rewinds armatures and other electrical work and have them test internal circuits/parts?

Good luck,

Harry

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Same as when my car breaks down , I'll go dig out the service manual and follow the wiring diagram . Most mig-welders' wiring is fairly simple till you encounter the solid-state boards ; if it's not an off-shore make you should be good for parts with your local welder-supply people . If you don't have the barbecued-wiring smell , at least you haven't let the smoke out . Once you let that smoke out , you know it's tough to stick it back in . Be safe...Bob

·
Administrator
66,693 Posts
They are usually pretty durable.

If the cable feeder is working you are getting power to part of the system.

Look for any fuses or circuit breakers.

The main winding can be traced & or checked with a meter.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welder

Went to the local welding shop today they said to hit the reset and check the ground if not those, probably the circuit board that costs more then the welder to replace (about $400)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That's a BS answer from welding supply. It might be much simpler. I have a Lincoln (MACK) and got it for cheap. It had a bad overload thermocouple. about $20 15 years ago. Do you have a buddy with electrical knowledge? if so get him a wiring diagram and a book.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welders ok

Wasn't raining today so I went thru the steps the guy at the weld shop suggested and the welder worked. Guess I must have had a bad ground to welder. So its ok finished the welding and resumed work on drivers quarter that had been replaced years ago. will try to primer tomorrow before or after rain . It rained here three times yesterday with a few hours in between.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts