Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I may try their cool blue heat absorption paste.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
"These guys make it look so easy."

I have a feeling that reality is not so easy. The key is the flux and its application.

I didn't look at it today, but there's a Jeff Lilly article/video about making pot metal parts fit exactly. It might be on the same site. His method is to build up areas where there's a gap with copper plating. Of course that builds up other things too. Far from easy, but it's what you do on a high end restoration. And probably not of a Chevy. That method is far from easy, and far from cheap.

·
Registered
524 Posts
WOW! That is outstanding, never attempted welding on pot metal/pewter, looks to be a good alternative before replacing an entire part. Your right, they do make it look very easy, thank you for posting. :tu

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"These guys make it look so easy."

I have a feeling that reality is not so easy. The key is the flux and its application.

I didn't look at it, but there's a Jeff Lilly article/video about making pot metal parts fit exactly. It might be on the same site. His method is to build up areas where there's a gap with copper plating. Of course that builds up other things too. Far from easy, but it's what you do on a high end restoration. And probably not of a Chevy. That method is far from easy, and far from cheap.
You should watch the videos I linked. One of them is the one you ;)

Lilly did a modifcation of some Ford hood bar extension. He added this welding rod to it, not copper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts