Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I have a 55 Bel Air and Im in the process of replacing the quarter panels. Im just about ready to install new wheel well seals but lately I have been thinking atttaching the fender well directly to the quarter. I would fabricate a inner well that would match the quarter then attach around the wheel opening of the quarter panel like the impalas and camaros of the late 60/70's. I would like to hear any opinion. Like maybe there wouldn't be a real benefit to doing this.
thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
I agree, that's a good way to get warpage even if all that stuff fits perfectly, and that would be very hard to do. I don't think a shrinker/stretcher job and making it fit perfectly has anything to do with it. Just the welding itself would screw things up.

I'm not familiar with how they did it on an Impala, but on a Camaro or Nova, it's barely attached to the quarter. And where it is, it's with spot welds, which was pretty easy for the factory to deal with.

Using the factory 55-57 rubber seal setup is pretty straightforward - what do you see wrong with that? To me it's easy and it works.

·
12,256 Posts
I think he's talking about making a custom inner wheelwell that attaches at the fenderwell lip. That would be nice if you have that kind of metalworking skill.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Ok I've got a better mental picture now. It would be a lot of custom metalwork to make it fit, and then you couldn't see it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason I was thinking about this was strength. The quarter panel is not really attached to anything past the rockers until it meets the lower trunk area. Any mud and trash gets thrown up into the wheel well which is also the inside of your quarter panel. Im working on my 1970 impala and just finished installing new floor pans, trunk pans, and attaching the quarters to the wheel wells (standard on this car). It was amazing the difference from when they where not attached (the quarter wasn't installed correctly by the shop I took it too years ago)and after I attached them. This is the only reason I would do it. However Im not really sure if it would be a benefit at the end of the day. Or just be wasting a lot of time.

·
12,256 Posts
I wouldn't call it a waste of time, but it would be very time-consuming. It would be pretty cool if someone tooled up something like this. It would eliminate the rubber seals and make the quarter very rigid and look nice in the wheelwell. On the other hand, I haven't seen a lot of movement on my quarter even without the rubber seals in. Is your quarter panel connected to the wheelwell extension at the bottom? That made a lot of difference on my car.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
"It would be pretty cool if someone tooled up something like this. It would eliminate the rubber seals and make the quarter very rigid and look nice in the wheelwell."

The flip side of this is that if the part didn't fit, it would affect the car's appearance or be a PITA to fix.

One of the deals on the 60's/70's cars is the wheel cutout is a simple right angle flange, easy to attach something to. Our cars have a bit more complicated lip, making attaching something to it more difficult.

I think a lot of guys overthink the rust preventative thing, especially after seeing and repairing damage. Your restored car probably isn't going to be a daily driver, it's going to lead a sheltered life, and that fact along is going to preserve it once it's restored.

·
12,256 Posts
I think a lot of guys overthink the rust preventative thing, especially after seeing and repairing damage. Your restored car probably isn't going to be a daily driver, it's going to lead a sheltered life, and that fact along is going to preserve it once it's restored.
I don't think the newer style wheelwell would really prevent rust. There are a lot of 60's cars that rusted out right at that welded seam. I just think it would look cleaner, but who's looking up in the wheelwells anyhow, right? ;)

I think the stock rubber seals will do a pretty good job of keeping water out of the quarter if they're installed correctly. I may put some sealer on mine too....just in case. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick_L;516584" I think a lot of guys overthink the rust preventative thing said:
I agree. I plan to drive the crap out of my car but based on my past performance
It will only see nice weather.

Hey Chevynut- I have read a lot of your posts and looked at a lot of your work over the years, especially when I was considering installing a c4 rear in my 55. You really do some awesome work!

My quarter was attached at the rear bottom of wheel well before I removed it. I think I will just install the seals as I want to get the quarters welded on over the holidays or if I get down time due to snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts