Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a set of four seatbelts in the 55 today. The bride bought them for me. The turquoise matches the interior very well. Had to get rather creative tightening the bolts given my arms aren't 4 feet long, LOL.... Clamped visegrips on the inside bolt heads and tightened them from underneath. Although I don't think I will ever need their services, I can take the grandkids for rides and not worry. I never would take them out in the car because of that.

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Mike that is the only reason i bought a set for the 57. Amazing what grandkids will do to your thinking. Of course it couldn`t be his wonderful smile or him just saying PaPa.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Seat belts....shouldn't be so low on my list should they?!

How was the installation? Pretty easy other than not have four foot long arms, or was it "four-foot" long arms?!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I was going to order mine from Classic Chevy, sure hope they aren't too short, I'm not the skinny type!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I put a set of four in my ride too. I replace the pair in the front seat because the ones that came with the car didn't match worth a darn and then added some to the back seat, hoping I'd never have to wear 'em. I got 'em from Mainly Chevy because they had this color called charcoal and that matches just right. I hope I never need 'em...Now that would be a bad day!

·
Registered
42 Posts
four on the Bel Air, 2 on the 150... but they're cheap Autozone things <_<

I'm fine riding in the car by myself, but only having lap belts freaks me out in terms of letting my nieces/nephews ride... I guess a 3 point harness would be easiest to rig up in the 150 (post) but I probably never will. If I really want to freak myself out I start wondering how strong the roof on the hardtop is, or how great the point in the middle of the steering wheel will feel :p Not that that inhibits me driving them

I'll just get me to Danchuck and buy up some buckles that don't look like they were scavenged from a 91 Hyundai Excel

BTW Frisco, good to see another 150 owner :D

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
After reading about the seat belt installations in this thread, my backround as a Tech Inspector at New England Dragway, an IHRA track, makes me want to ask how large of a washer did you put between the nut and the bottom of the floor. The fellow that helped me install mine used a 4"X4"X1/4" steel plate as a washer with the front seat belts and a 2"X6"X1/4" plate as a washer in the back. You might think that's over kill, but think about how thin the floor pan is, especially if your floors are orginal, and how easy, without reinforcement, for the nut and washer to pull though it upon impact. Agree or disagree that this could happen for your safety I would still put the largest honkin washer known to man on the bottom side of the floor.

Wedwagon

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I agree Wedwagon, Back in '71 when I ran my '55 at the local strip, I had to install belts to be able to run, When I drilled thru the floor I realized how thin the floor was so I reinforced the area around and used the largest/thickest washer I could find to prevent it from pulling thru on impact. I plan to do the same when I do my install on this '55.

·
Registered
961 Posts
seat belt instructions

When I installed belts in my back seat I was a bit confused by the installation instructions that where included. There was a upper seat hold down bracket right where they instructing me to drill one of the holes...I'm confused, so I go to the local street rod building Guru who lives in my neighborhood. He sez...
you're first mistake is readin' the stupid (not really the word he used) instuctions! Here's the rules (he sez) don't hit the exhaust, don't hit the fuel line. Now, drill the stupid (again, not the word he used) hole where ever you want 'em:eek: Lesson learned. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts