Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drive disappeared. Going about 65-70 like I always do down the freeway and the engine rpms went up all of a sudden, put the car in N and coasted for a moment to get over to the far right lane, slowed down to 45 in a hurry, dropped it into low, then back into Drive and no go, PG stayed in low all the way home in D, there was no grind or clunk sounds. When I pulled into the garage, I checked R, ok, P, N, ok, L, ok, back into R, ok, still no D. Checked the trans fluid while car is running in P, perfect pink color and lever was right on, none on the floor. What happened? Not a sound from the trans, no whining or any unusual sounds or leakage. I thought to let her cool down and take her around the neighborhood and see if D works tomorrow. Thanks for reading, time for a walk, candy bar and think mode.:confused0006: I am bummed. :>(

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,737 Posts
Jack....We have a couple of good PG techs at the site here.....Recommend you send a PM to Farm Boy or 55Copper for help.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If one of the techs doesn't pop in with help, I will look them up, thanks for the advice David. Hope to find out what the the problem is and get the '57 back on the road soon.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Your transmission symptoms are typical of a worn out clutch pack. Replacing the clutch plates in an old Powerglide isn’t a difficult job for someone that is mechanically inclined. Common hand tools will get the job done. A rebuild kit with seals, gaskets, and clutch plates is under $200. The hardest part of the job is removing the transmission from the car. Those old cast iron Powerglides are heavy.

·
Premium Member
19,484 Posts
If one of the techs doesn't pop in with help, I will look them up, thanks for the advice David. Hope to find out what the the problem is and get the '57 back on the road soon.
see farm boy just chimmed in,
Your transmission symptoms are typical of a worn out clutch pack. Replacing the clutch plates in an old Powerglide isn’t a difficult job for someone that is mechanically inclined. Common hand tools will get the job done. A rebuild kit with seals, gaskets, and clutch plates is under $200. The hardest part of the job is removing the transmission from the car. Those old cast iron Powerglides are heavy.
Sounds like u hav the answer now :anim_25:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Farmboy for the great info.:tu I called the trans shop that did the work 1 1/2 years ago, darn 1 year warranties. Anyway, they told me to get the car to them when I can, no charge to take a look and they would work with me to get it fixed up. They stand behind their trans work and were recommended to me from another classic car owner, they know the PGs and need to get inside to see what happened, again I want to thank everyone here and Farmboy for coming to my thread. Will keep all of you updated as soon as I can.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ether your drive clutch piston O ring blow out or first check the governor gear striped (it's like a Speedo plastic driven gear) easy to remove and check Right side of PG dome cover design having four bolts , then pull the governor out to see. A PG just don't go out that fast burning the clutch's.:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good luck with the tranny shop. I hope they can help you without hurting your wallet too bad. Little setbacks like this can alsways be overcome. At least you didn't have an accident in traffic. :anim_25:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks 55copper for stopping by in my thread with the great info :tu, I will check the governor as you recommended before I have the '57 towed to the trans shop, it is just odd, no D and no bad sounds coming from the trans when driving, fluid looks normal pink color and level is where it should be. Thanks all for the words of encouragement too :tu, I appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.