Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted that I was hoping to secure my drivetrain better by installing a '1955-57 Chevy Turbo Transmission Side Mount Conversion Kit'.
I don't have frame horns on my car so I don't believe this kit can be installed.
So I curious if one of the PO's removed these or if they were ever installed on my car at all.
I don't see any indication on the frame that they were removed but also looks like the headers might interfere if they were still there.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,985 Posts
All frames had the transmission mounts and they were the same for all model years. Why would you want to use the transmission side mounts instead of engine side mounts and a transmission crossmember? The crossmember will stiffen the frame and give better support.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How is your engine/drive train secured now?
I've only had this vehicle a short time with a lot of that time spent in my garage adding upgrades that I wanted to install.
Right now it has front engine mounts (350ci) and a cross-member bar mount at the rear of the TH350.
I was told here that I really needed to go with side mounts.

I can't weld and can only get under the car using jacks and jack stands working in a small crowded two-car garage.
I have found an easy to install set of bolt-on side mounts that I might go with, but Pops told me it will raise the front of the engine about an inch and that it may give me interference issues with my fuel pump and HEI distributor.

But before I purchase that kit I plan on trying to find shops in my area that can give me an estimate on what they would charge to weld-in a pair of aftermarket side mounts after I install them.

I was just disappointed when I looked under my car and found no transmission frame horns.
Here is a link to my original post: 1955-57 Chevy Turbo Transmission Side Mount Conversion Kit - Easy To Install?

·
49,411 Posts
Okay Greg....I understand better where you are at now....Maybe someone at the site has a better recommendation for side mounts than I do....If not, you will need to have some one weld them in for you.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,985 Posts
I put bolt in Danchuk side engine mounts in my 57 and have had no problems after 25,000 miles. Link to side mounts. Note the Note about the frame.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I can't weld and can only get under the car using jacks and jack stands working in a small crowded two-car garage.
I have found an easy to install set of bolt-on side mounts that I might go with, but Pops told me it will raise the front of the engine about an inch and that it may give me interference issues with my fuel pump and HEI distributor.

But before I purchase that kit I plan on trying to find shops in my area that can give me an estimate on what they would charge to weld-in a pair of aftermarket side mounts after I install them.

1955-57 Chevy Turbo Transmission Side Mount Conversion Kit - Easy To Install?
Consider what acardon suggested, bolt-int kit.. This is something that you should be able to install.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
When swapping to side engine mounts I've found it easier to simply build my own and make them all up and complete first. Then once they're all completed, simply remove the front mounts and it's done.
If you need a shop to weld in the side mounts I'd simply take the car to the shop along with the kit, and have them weld it up. Not sure you'd save much bolting it all in, and then having it welded afterwards?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I took the frame horns off at last engine swap and went with side-mounts from Speedway. Will try to post the link

They bolted on, I believe you can install them with the radiator out of the car and the motor still in the car, maybe. I had my engine out at the time. Stock style fuel pump, ram horn exhaust, clears stock stearing box. the look like Chassis Engineering design and fit great.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
I thought the Chassis Engineering/Speedway bolt in mounts that raised the engine up a bit had been fixed with thinner rubber biscuits. That you could now buy it that way, as well as fix it if wrong. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
49,411 Posts
I thought the Chassis Engineering/Speedway bolt in mounts that raised the engine up a bit had been fixed with thinner rubber biscuits. That you could now buy it that way, as well as fix it if wrong. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Rick...My Speedway mounts raised the engine, so I had to make adjustments....On the other hand, Larry (lambergey) had no problem with his.

Also, I found out that, the other downside of these mounts is that they will interfere with the installation of some fuel pumps.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Why bother with a side mount kit that raises the engine that much? Just get one that doesn't which most should be, Danchuk and others..

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 57 chevy replacement fuel pump and have no pump clearance issues. Hard for me to say if the Speedway mounts raised the engine as the stock engine mounts in the car had the same rubber biscuits that came in the car when the car was obtained in 1975. With that said, I sure the new mounts raised the motor some over the stock rock hard old biscuits. I run a stock FI distributor and firewall clearance is not an issue either. I had C.E. motor mounts in my SBC powered 40 Ford coupe and like the design. My 2 cents.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies. Give me more choices to think about. This project will probably get to the top of my to-do list next month.
If I can find a place that will do the welding I would like to go with the Earle Williams mounts. Everyone seems to talk highly of them.
I looked into the bolt-in Speedway mounts last month. The Danchuk bolt-in side mounts that @acardon recommended (post #7) also looks interesting.
I am worried if I go with one of the bolt-in kits that they will be difficult to install with the engine in place.
Plus, I might have to buy additional tools like a 90-degree drill and other items. By then the cost might be comparable with what I'd spend getting mounts welded in.
Like I said this will probably be a Sept project and I'll have more time to decide which way to go. Thanks

·
49,411 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts