Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Administrator
48,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well I'm in!! Already booked the hotel rooms. While Bakersfield isn't exactly across the street from me, it's about half the distance than it was to Bowling Green. Looking forward to a nice two or three day drive!!
Your Suburban will be a treat there :):tu

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I don't know what those from out of state expect from the location. The fly in location is either Fresno or Bakersfield and neither should be considered as a major airport. The Famoso Race Track is located close to the small town of McFarland...anyone watch the movie a couple of years ago? The area is rural, if you've seen the movie Grapes Of Wrath, it could have been filmed on location, but things have changed for the better. The weather should be fair except for the dreaded "Tule Fog" in the winter months. It's usually over by the end of March.
I am thinking if this show works out, it could turn out to be the "Woodstock" of car shows, including the cannabis if you're so inclined, but don't expect to see anything topless, unless it's a convertible.
It's gonna be up to the show's promoters to create the ambiance. Take the usual precautions. I always look for hotels with ample parking and plenty of lighting. Most of the major hotels offer a free "continental"breakfast, and those with a bar have a decent Happy Hour.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Hello Folks,

We just registered and made hotel reservations for the "Western Invasion".

We are looking forward to seeing a bunch of our favorite cars, at a location that is closer than Bowling Green, but we are not familiar with Bakersfield...any other points of interest or activities in the immediate area?

Thanks in advance!
Whoa Ken, I'll finally get to see your '56!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Very much looking forward to this show. It will be great for locals but it also sounds like it will attract some folks from out of town so us locals can meet more of the members on here that are from out of town. We have a couple small Tri Five events each year but they really don't draw from out of state so I am glad to see some will be coming in.

I haven't been to Bakersfield in years. There isn't much to do there but hanging out with other Tri5 owners and cruisin our rides is enough for me. I'm sure there are some good local restaurants.

As far as hot rod shops, they have at least one that has turned out some of the best work I have ever seen. They are regulars at the Grand National Roadster show. Its called Ironworks Speed and Kustom. Maybe they will participate in some form.

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,524 Posts
As far as hot rod shops, they have at least one that has turned out some of the best work I have ever seen. They are regulars at the Grand National Roadster show. Its called Ironworks Speed and Kustom. Maybe they will participate in some form.

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/

I have a part or two of theirs on my 57, good company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Granted, Bakersfield is no Bowling GREEN. We don’t have the rainfall to support such environment. Bakersfield is known for Famoso Drags back to the early ‘50’s with the Bakersfield Smokers Club. Heck, I go back BEFORE they went to Famoso. They raced on an abandoned asphalt air strip from WWII located south of Taft called Gardner Field. I was about 5-6 when I saw them........too much noise!!!! They moved to Famoso in 1958.
The ‘Ridge Route Terrors’ (Warren-Coburn group) were from here.

Well, yes, there were tons of hot rod shops in the ‘60’s. Yep, gone now. A few high end rod shops now.

We have no precipitation to speak of. Maybe 2-3 inches of rain per yr. Good news, we have NO rust. I never saw a rusted vehicle until I moved to PA in the ‘60’s. I always say, ‘Better dust than rust’. A vehicle can run here 50-60 yrs. and all we do is replace mechanical.
It is different than what most of you are used to. I still say Bakersfield is acceptable for this great event. I purchased my ‘55 2dr 210 in Mar. ‘70 (my new bride and my first car) and still have both.

Yes, one place to see is the Sequoia National Forest. Located 1.5 hrs ne of Bakersfield. It is something to behold..........living, growing trees that are 380’ tall, 30’ dia. and over 2000 yrs old.

There are many new motels so accommodations should be easy.

I couldn’t be closer to this great event, so count me in too. I am really happy to see a western event for us west coast guys who can’t really go 2500 miles to meet with such a great bunch of people.

See you soon.

Dennis Bubp

·
Premium Member
10,207 Posts
For me, Bakersfield is just hollowed ground for hot rodding and race cars. Read about the place in every car magazine. I will take your word for it Dennis that it is not lush and green like BG, but a cool place to see just the same. May be the only time I get to do it so dust it is!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about making the trip in our '57 9 Passenger from Ky. Too soon to know for sure, but we are are considering it. If we do, I look forward to seeing a lot of you out there.
Steve Blades

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about making the trip in our '57 9 Passenger from Ky. Too soon to know for sure, but we are are considering it. If we do, I look forward to seeing a lot of you out there.
Steve Blades
Steve, it would be an honor to meet you at the bako event. I would suggest you do a route 66 excursion along the way. Pick up 66 around Carthridge, Mo and follow along till you get to Barstow the jump on hwy 58 to Bako. there are a few other places to stop along the way that make really cool stops for pics too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I will be there , I have relatives that live 1 1/2 hours away so I can visit them while in the area , also there is the Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield to go see while there, yes this feisty Latina likes the older country music as well as old Chevy's

https://www.buckowens.com/

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I will be there , I have relatives that live 1 1/2 hours away so I can visit them while in the area , also there is the Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield to go see while there, yes this feisty Latina likes the older country music as well as old Chevy's

https://www.buckowens.com/
GOOD! We'll finally get to meet you!

·
Registered
315 Posts
GOOD! We'll finally get to meet you!
I was at The Nationals in 2017 and met a few members and have done business with a few members here also, I am not hiding from anyone lol

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Great Davlin

Glad to see you are going to be bustin bugs again in you 56. Glad to see you on the maiden voyage to BG. Didn't see you after you top five award. Congrats. on your award it was very much deserved. Hope to see you in Aug. but will understand if it is to soon after the trip to Ca. I couldn't make two that close together and that many miles. My car would make it but the owner couldn't swing it. Later Ronny bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
I just booked my room at the host hotel. $119 per night. My friend Bob and I are going to fly out and see Bakersfield and the invasion as neither of us have ever been to California.
I will see you there Mike, and bring your left handed bolts for ya :sign0020:

If you have big enough suitcase, I will bring the carrier, all the cross shafts and spider gears also???

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,524 Posts
I just booked my room at the host hotel. $119 per night. My friend Bob and I are going to fly out and see Bakersfield and the invasion as neither of us have ever been to California.

Can you fly into Bakersfield directly? Not sure what would be the closest major airport.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Can you fly into Bakersfield directly? Not sure what would be the closest major airport.

that would be LAX but if he flew into san Francisco he could get a connector to bako.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts