Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to put new fenders on mine as mine are ok but I want perfect and for the cost to strip, repair etc the new $280-$350 seems ok. Anyhow that said who has replaced there 57 front fenders and with whos fenders? I have heard good things about Tamaraz (they sell the balck edp coated one piece floors on ebay). I want the very best fit. Please tell me what you all have.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Im going to put new fenders on mine as mine are ok but I want perfect and for the cost to strip, repair etc the new $280-$350 seems ok. Anyhow that said who has replaced there 57 front fenders and with whos fenders? I have heard good things about Tamaraz (they sell the balck edp coated one piece floors on ebay). I want the very best fit. Please tell me what you all have.
Keep in mind no repro will fit as good as the GM fenders do. That being said the best place to get your repro is RESTO WORLD. They have all the same pieces that everyone has and usually at much better prices. :anim_25:

-Bruce

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Danchuk fenders are on sale until Jan 8th.
$295.00

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fenders

who makes the Danchuk fenders? Has anyone used them? How do they fit. There is no reason a new fender should not fit as well or better than a new one. If they dont they should retool till they get it right IMO

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
who makes the Danchuk fenders? Has anyone used them? How do they fit. There is no reason a new fender should not fit as well or better than a new one. If they dont they should retool till they get it right IMO
I'm not sure who is making the fenders but my comment comes from first hand experience with repro 57 fenders, They do not fit like an original GM fender will. I'm not an amateur at this work either having been in the trade for 35 years. I'm not saying they won't work but they just are not what they should be. If you have been around much repro stuff you will know what I am talking about. If you do decide to get the repro fenders be sure to get the special fender louvers made to fit the repro fenders because the originals will not fit correctly. :anim_25:

-Bruce

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fenders

I dont doubt some fit crappy. I never have understood why but I have been around cheap or not cheap repo stuff that doesnt fit. I have also been around some good stuff you couldnt tell the differance from stock. I just dont have any first hand use of 1957 stuff. I have heard people say the black stuff fits great I just want some first hand not swap meet talk. I do know too that some factory stuff fit better than other factory stuff. Kind of like seams. Some cars had better fitting than others. The old school thought of repo must not fit right surely doesnt hold true on a car such as the 57 in 2010 when the restoration market is so vast. Id think there would be to many picky restorers to complain and send back inferior parts to make an entire line. But I guess I could be wrong...wouldnt be the first time. L
Anyone bought the any recently? Golden Star? Tamaraz?

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Okay first hand, I got the new black edp coated fenders and new edp coated doors, and they are perfect, they fit great and no flaws, and also they are packaged well and another thing I like about them is that they are edp coated on the back and front so it will prevent rust.

I the black edp coated ones on sale from danchuk.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Okay first hand, I got the new black edp coated fenders and new edp coated doors, and they are perfect, they fit great and no flaws, and also they are packaged well and another thing I like about them is that they are edp coated on the back and front so it will prevent rust.

I the black edp coated ones on sale from danchuk.

Wow, they look great. That's the finished car? Nice work!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fender

love that color. What all else did you have to do to the car? Did you use any of the one piece floors or trunks?

Does anyone know if Danchuk fenders are the same as "Golden star"

·
Registered
304 Posts
I dont beleive Danchuk could ship for less than Resto World can. Check costs of shipping before ordering. I think all the new repo parts are from Golden Star. American companys cant compete with those prices. American made one peice floor is around $ 2500, resto world is 900 or so.

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
What all else did you have to do to the car? Did you use any of the one piece floors or trunks?
At the time the complete floors were 2500 dollars and I could not afford that so I got 2 half floors and installed them with a few braces etc.

Trunk pan, partial right qtr, inner outer rockers tail pans and many repairs, the roof had holes in it all across the back and one side etc etc , My 57 started out as a rusted piece of ( **** ) and yes it got very discouraging at times took me 5 years of work plus saving for parts etc etc. I also caught myself on fire welding, almost cut my thumb off and many other mishaps. I even started the car one time when I had forgot it was in gear and got my right front foot caught under the car while it was trying to climb my leg, talk about pain. While at the emergency room getting my thumb sewed up the emergency room doctor told the nurse don't worry he will be back, within a week I had to got back for a 3rd degree burn of my right leg, It takes a long time and a lot of pain to heal burn wounds.

So yes I feel your pain and all the other worries, but it is all worth it in the end.

But the end result is very very worth it.

If it were me now starting, the full floors and fenders and doors are so cheap considering what they use to be it would be a lot easier and cheaper.

Here is what I started with, note that I had already replaced the floors and rockers in this photo and done a lot of qtr repair.

Otis

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
At the time the complete floors were 2500 dollars and I could not afford that so I got 2 half floors and installed them with a few braces etc.

Trunk pan, partial right qtr, inner outer rockers tail pans and many repairs, the roof had holes in it all across the back and one side etc etc , My 57 started out as a rusted piece of ( **** ) and yes it got very discouraging at times took me 5 years of work plus saving for parts etc etc. I also caught myself on fire welding, almost cut my thumb off and many other mishaps. I even started the car one time when I had forgot it was in gear and got my right front foot caught under the car while it was trying to climb my leg, talk about pain. While at the emergency room getting my thumb sewed up the emergency room doctor told the nurse don't worry he will be back, within a week I had to got back for a 3rd degree burn of my right leg, It takes a long time and a lot of pain to heal burn wounds.

So yes I feel your pain and all the other worries, but it is all worth it in the end.

But the end result is very very worth it.

If it were me now starting, the full floors and fenders and doors are so cheap considering what they use to be it would be a lot easier and cheaper.

Here is what I started with, note that I had already replaced the floors and rockers in this photo and done a lot of qtr repair.

Otis

NICE CAR :happy0030::happy0030:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
"The old school thought of repo must not fit right surely doesnt hold true on a car such as the 57 in 2010 when the restoration market is so vast."

If only that were true. For some reason the American reproductions of many of the parts are just plain crap. I figured they just don't care and we had to settle since there was no other choice. But now that the Taiwan pieces are available and in many cases superior to the USA pieces, that they will have to improve the quality or lose alot of market share. The outer rocker I am now installing on my '57 fits way better than the USA piece I used on the other side last year. The price is better (which I understand), and it includes the bracket and fender bracket already welded. Just look at the price and quality of the one piece floors. Hopefully they will improve quality before the import folks put them out of business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts