Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again guys, Im just full of question's tonight lol :D

I was just wondering what you guys think the most common problem's to look for when you have 1 or more valve springs weak in a sbc engine?

what to look for or what would your motor sound or run like? thanks for any info!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I am only guessing as a mechanic. I would figure that a weak valve spring would show up at higher RPM and that if there was one the piston would try to bite the valve. It would appear as a misfire in my estimation. I am more inclined to think that your problem that you are chasing is not in the engine. I've been a proffesional mechanic for 35 years.
Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are two things weak valve springs can cause, valve flutter and valve float. Valve flutter is when the lifter is not making solid contact with the cam lobe. Valve float(valve bounce) is where the lifter no longer is in contact.
Valve flutter can cause decreased r.p.m., horsepower and torque, fuel economy. Also flutter can increase wear to the valve, valve guide, valve seat, cam and lifter.
Valve float can cause dropped valve, damage to the valve, seat, valve guide, piston, cam and lifter. Valve float is often detected by a high-speed misfire.
According to the Comp Cams camshaft installation& degreeing instructions( page 4): "With the 292H or 305H Magnum Cams, the valve springs must (bold print) be replaced. Stock valve springs will not have sufficient travel for cams that incorporate that much lift."
Hook up a vacuum gauge. Run the engine at 2000r.p.m.s. If the needle fluctuates greatly, the most likely cause are weak springs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
dseale4888 said:
Thank you for the learning expirience today Walt. I figure I only absorb alittle of what I learn every day so if I learn more I retain more. Have a great day.
Dave
You're welcome, glad to help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dseale4888 said:
Thank you for the learning expirience today Walt. I figure I only absorb alittle of what I learn every day so if I learn more I retain more. Have a great day.
Dave

walt bauer ......
OK bro I'm with him,,,,,,,,,, thanks alot for taking the time to put worth your great input!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
When there are guys like Dave with all his experience and he's willing to jump up and say "thanks, I've learned something" that's probably more motivational for me than anything! I don't even know what the heck you guys are talking about in this thread (actually I do, but only because you guys know what you're talking about and you've explained it so I can understand it!) but the reading has been educational for me, too! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts