Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the big and little hole in the filler panel for?

Do I want to weld in patches for these since I have a custom radiator/support setup?

Sorry if I seem ignorant. But, I didn't take this car apart and I haven't found any diagrams for this.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I believe these are drain holes..the big one for the rad petcock and the small one so water doesnt get trapped/ rust out under the rad:)

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
holes?

I don't know what the little hole is for but I yhink the big hole was nfor radiator drain. You could put a section of hose on the end of the petcock and run the hose thru the hole and not have anyi-freeze all over the front of your car.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I think mike's reply is correct, the little one is just so water doesn't puddle there when it rains or snows.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found this in the assembly manual.

It looks like the little hole is for a hose that connects to the petcock. So, what is the big hole for?

Is it for the radiator overflow hose like 1956SD says? It seems kind of big for that.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
It looks like the little hole is for a hose that connects to the petcock. So, what is the big hole for?
The big hole is for 6 cyl. drain. The hole is larger because the petcock is too close to the filler panel to turn without the large hole.
Weld 'em up.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I was going to post the small hole is for a piece of rubber hose that connects to the petcock. On a '57 anways.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
The small hole (in center) is for the center brace that goes underneath . I think mine had a rivet there.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The big hole is for 6 cyl. drain. The hole is larger because the petcock is too close to the filler panel to turn without the large hole.
Weld 'em up.

Thanks Don!

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts