Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread as a way to share the stuff we are currently working on, doesn’t matter if it’s TriFive or not. In my case, I’m tinkering with parts until I can get a good weekend to work on Bertha. In the meanwhile, I have this to rebuild.

Wood Gun accessory Auto part Metal Titanium

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,689 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am trying to find or put together lists of parts that I need for each area (doors, hood, trunk, etc.) of my 57 4dr. rebuild. I also am working on upgrades for brakes, suspension, steering as well. If anyone has any list that would help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Henway sure will look nice, once it is cleaned up and restored...Be worth some bucks too.
Lol…. I get it now…. “What’s a Henway?”

Oh, a couple of pounds.

Its actually close to a Henway, it’s a Henry.

Model A water pump.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,544 Posts
Currently, another 67 GTO HO, 69 Firebird, 74 Bronco, 2001 Jeep wrangler LS swap, 70 Challenger, and still trying to finish the 69 AMC SC/Rambler which I finally have all the parts for but not the space and time to work on it. Plus weening the new Husky pups since momma was being mean.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Just finished an under dash AC install on the 57 Handyman,
Fabbing a 9 degree apron stop for the box / pan brake to make 10 incremental bends in tin / aluminum = a 90* radius bend on a box brake.
Board & T-square are out, blueprint & materials list started for an 8' diameter 12" wide water wheel & stand will use rectangular tube for the pinwheel spokes & stand.
Maybe I can make it rotate when the wind blows, ya know --- sails on hinges or ??? :)

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,792 Posts
I'm replacing the fuel pump, fuel system components, and all rubber hoses (radiator, heater, etc) in my '69 Corvette...

·
Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
1,911 Posts
What process do you plan to follow to clean it up? I'm cleaning motor parts on a 235 and it is a real chore. I took the big stuff to a shop with a hot tank but I'm working on the little stuff. I found a Youtube video last night posted by a fellow who is rebuilding a Studebaker engine. His parts were in the same shape as the one's that I'm cleaning. After he cleaned them with oven cleaner and hot water, he soda blasted them. That last step produced parts that looked brand new. Throughout this project I've watched numerous Youtube videos on parts cleaning and I've tried the electrolysis bath (works on light rust but not so well on the hard stuff), wire brushes, some sand blasting (that works, but it's a mess and you don't want to sandblast sensitive parts), metal prep solutions (again, works on light rust), degreasers (crudcutter, awesome, mineral spirits, gasoline), "that stuff from Tractor Supply", carburetor cleaner (Berryman's and Hydro Seal), parts cleaner aerosols and the hot bath. The hot bath works pretty well and I am going to work some more on my process and equipment because that is showing promise. However, at the end my parts still have that dark carbon coating on them that won't come off. Basically, all of those methods removed some to most of the crud but nothing was a good finish step. I am hesitant to jump into buying soda blast equipment. Not everything that Youtube posters claim will work actually does work but I'll admit that his parts looked really good. I watched another video last night focused on cleaning carburetors with Simple Green. I may try that. I am interested in seeing how you go about cleaning up that water pump. I don't mind putting some elbow grease into the cleaning process but doggone it, I do want the parts to actually be clean when I'm finished.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I'm working on Billy Gene, my '47-'50 bullet-nose Studebaker. The original car came from my older brother Gene who bought it in 1957 for $150 then parked it outside and there it sat for 15
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
years until I dug it out of the ground in the mid-70's and got it into a building. The body was too far gone and I was able to get a '47 body from a deceased man's widow, his name was Billy. Hence "Billy Gene". Plan involves a 5.7 Gen III Hemi. I'm modifying the frame for the extra power and lowering it with Mustang II front cross-member and a triangulated 4-link. Center section of the frame is next. Hemi is mounted in place. I've got a guy, I call him the Oracle of Mopar who can program the Chrysler ECMs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well, I neglected to stub in water for a shop when I built my house 3 years ago, so I've turned my basement ceiling into a swiss cheese to run a water line to the outside. That first cut into a 3 year old ceiling was difficult, but once I did it I figured I'd take the opportunity to move my surround speakers to better locations (they're too close together currently). Now I've got somewhere around 15 rectangle holes I'll have to fix in my ceiling, so I got that goin' for me. And I replaced the Bank 1 O2 sensor on my 2003 Bonneville...that was actually easier than it sounds. 😁

·
Registered
72 Posts
Upgrading to disc brakes, new brake lines, and dual reservoir master cylinder. Got the MG Chevy kit which seems highly recommended from this site. Excited to see the difference in braking once the snow and salt is gone. Also, some engine compartment cleanup while I'm in there.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts