Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Having fun with a recommissioning this Riviera. SBC conversion (I know, I know ...), refresh all the mechanical systems and repaint roof back to white will take care of it.

Exhaust about finished (home built with mandrel bends) and then onto wiring to accommodate the SBC starter and alternator locations.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am busy restoring my '56 4 door. Is it a common problem for the rear axle driveshaft bearing retaining plate to break?

Attachments

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Eben, I don’t think it is. I can’t remember hearing of that happen before, it may have but I don’t remember.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
So last night I decided to take a shot at replacing the cracked overflow bottle on my 1976 Corvette. I was already prepared for the fact that I'd have to pull the right front wheel, just to get to the mounting screws (3 of them). I did that, got the screws out, and thought I was home free. Then I noticed that the opening that it needs to come out of is BLOCKED BY THE A/C COMPRESSOR!!! I pushed the cracked overflow bottle back into place, and put the screws back in. LOL

(unreal)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not working on it right this minute, but this is where I left off Sunday and expect to return on Saturday when I get back to my shop. The driver's side is the worst of the two but even with that I expected I'd have the old rocker completely removed. Ordered two different flavors of spot weld cutter and some kind of magic pry bar for splitting panels to see if I can't improve the removal time on the passenger side when I get to it.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Wood Hood Gas Aircraft

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Done nothing since getting home from The Duck Tails car show a week ago last Friday big show over 3000 cars supposedly in Gas City northern Indiana.Wife & I both with Covid since last Monday feel better now just absolutely no strength to do anything can't complain though we both have managed to go a long time without getting it although I'm not positive I didn't have it last year but a negative test then taste was off for several months.Have to kick myself in the butt tomorrow & get back into the garage if nothing else to clean.

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,691 Posts
I would love to see some video footage, please..
Our group has been working on the restoration of this A26 project for 23yrs.
I personally have been on it for 17yrs.
We literally started from a pile of parts.
This picture was taken this afternoon. We pulled it out of the hanger to train 3 of our group members (including me) to start and run engines and check all systems. The plane is owned by CAF (Commemorative Air Force) and is assigned to our group. Our group is totally, completely, 100% responsible for EVERYTHING.
Sky Tire Wheel Aircraft Vehicle

These videos were taken over 1yr ago when we finally got it air worthy.
The ONLY way to enjoy the videos is to turn up the volume all the way---------------------wait til the wife is out of the house.
That's me standing up (flight engineer) and waving at you.
Sorry about the damn ads.

I'm behind the co-pilot (who is the pilot's wife) taking this video.
Leaving Guthrie last time and goodbye pass

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our group has been working on the restoration of this A26 project for 23yrs.
I personally have been on it for 17yrs.
We literally started from a pile of parts.
This picture was taken this afternoon. We pulled it out of the hanger to train 3 of our group members (including me) to start and run engines and check all systems. The plane is owned by CAF (Commemorative Air Force) and is assigned to our group. Our group is totally, completely, 100% responsible for EVERYTHING.
View attachment 378068

These videos were taken over 1yr ago when we finally got it air worthy.
The ONLY way to enjoy the videos is to turn up the volume all the way---------------------wait til the wife is out of the house.
That's me standing up (flight engineer) and waving at you.
Sorry about the damn ads.

I'm behind the co-pilot (who is the pilot's wife) taking this video.
Leaving Guthrie last time and goodbye pass
WOW, Thanks for posting the material. Well Done!!!

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
11,036 Posts
I'm replacing roller lifters in the engine I just built. Currently installed in a '70 C10, the Comp Cams roller lifters getting replaced with Howards units. The Comps were unbearably noisy. Got the rocker geometry figured out with the Howards roller lifters and now waiting for the pushrods to arrive.

I will be cutting into the drywall in a basement bedroom tomorrow to gain access to the wiring that goes out to the shop housing Daryl. It's currently 12/2 Romex installed by previous owner. I will be pulling in #6 triplex to replace it. Then comes an adequate air compressor, heater, and much work.
That, too, must wait because I'm currently working on date night plans for the misses and I tonight.
I realized that after about 7,000 miles my comp rollers got quiet, even on startup, (well almost.) It happened slowly so I didn't realize it at first. They still sound a little like a solid cam when it's very hot, but it all works and I have no cam wipe out to cry about.

I assume you are putting a sub panel into the garage? #6 (three plus ground?) will handle a lot. My 5hp compressor has about 50' of 10/2 with ground (falls within the guidelines). You will be able to run a lot all at once! Better to have and not need than to need and not have! My brother who wired most of my garage argued with me about how many outlets I needed. He put in about twice what he wanted to and still I don't have enough. And when I ran power to a shed, well he should see how many outlets I put in there! ;) And although I've never needed 10 gauge out there, for some reason I wish I would have run 10/2 instead of direct burial 12/2. I'm certain it will be enough, because for almost a year I ran everything off an extension cord including a small AC unit.

And of course, A happy wife = a happy life!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I realized that after about 7,000 miles my comp rollers got quiet, even on startup, (well almost.) It happened slowly so I didn't realize it at first. They still sound a little like a solid cam when it's very hot, but it all works and I have no cam wipe out to cry about.

I assume you are putting a sub panel into the garage? #6 (three plus ground?) will handle a lot. My 5hp compressor has about 50' of 10/2 with ground (falls within the guidelines). You will be able to run a lot all at once! Better to have and not need than to need and not have! My brother who wired most of my garage argued with me about how many outlets I needed. He put in about twice what he wanted to and still I don't have enough. And when I ran power to a shed, well he should see how many outlets I put in there! ;) And although I've never needed 10 gauge out there, for some reason I wish I would have run 10/2 instead of direct burial 12/2. I'm certain it will be enough, because for almost a year I ran everything off an extension cord including a small AC unit.

And of course, A happy wife = a happy life!
The sub-panel went in when I wired the little shop. From home panel to shop panel is about 150'. I have two outlets on each wall, minimum, and a couple in the rafters for the garage door opener, ceiling fan, and OH retractable extension cord. It's just 120V now but will have 220V with the new conductor.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I decided to put a '70 GTO front lower spoiler on my '72. I also installed a top cover over the engine area of front grills/condenser. I also just finished pulling tranny pan to replace malfunctioning kickdown solenoid. Added a shiny deep pan with drain plug while I was at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm restoring a 57 vert that was found in a field. Very rusty. I'm nearing the primer and body working stage.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I probably won't get much done this weekend beyond going to a car show, but on the upcoming list is pulling the driver door on my Corvette and replacing the hinge pins and bushings that have been shot for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Big job for a friend landed in my lap yesterday. This is a good friend, he has a premium Class A motorhome. Big pusher sitting on a Freightliner chassis with a 450 HP Cat. He has been experiencing some overheating issues and a loss of power, fuel consumption has been climbing too. I did a preliminary inspection and diagnosed a severe blockage in the Radiator/Intercooler. So no joy, I would need to remove it and get it to my radiator guy to get tanked and ultrasound cleaned.

The problem with working on these big coaches is, the people that build them have their heads up their butts and do not consider you might have to work on the engines. They literally build the thing around the engine. It took 3 of us 4 hours just to get the damn thing out. It is a heavy mutha too.

here it is as it hit the ground leaning up against a truck, check out the 5 gallon buckets to give you some scale

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Here it is with the shroud off, this is the intercooler, (kind of explains the loss of power and increased fuel burnin' )

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Grille Bumper

Here is the radiator after disassembly

Tire Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Wheel

My back is killing me, I'll get the 2 parts back on Monday and put this thing back together.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts