Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just buttoned up a head gasket job on a 3.4L V6 Chevy Equinox yesterday, got done just in time for the game. Good game but a loss for the Huskers. Today, I will be buttoning up the hydraulic roller lifter changeout on Dad's pickup. I rebuilt the engine with Comp Cams units, some were not functioning properly. New Howard's units and another set of pushrods are the replacement. The seat heights were different which warranted the new set of pushrods. Consequently, I have a set of Comp Cams 7.1" pushrods with zero miles on them that will go on the shelf with the several other sets from previous builds. It will be nice to drive 'ole Green again, a 1970 C10.

·
Registered
1957 Black Bel-Air Hardtop, Fuel injeted 350, 700r4 with Ford 9" Rear
25 Posts
Nice, I restored my 68 Harley Rapido my grandfather gave me when I was 15 that my aunts and uncle rode before that. I rode it till I moved away in 84 and it sat outside at my dads house untouched till he passed in 2017. Late 2019 I finally decided to restore it and finished it in 2020 which is right before I got the 57. Was surprised how many NOS parts were still available for it.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Anyway that was a little of topic but the last couple were about vintage bikes. Right now I am doing small detail stuff on the 57 and rebuilding my first vehicle which is a 1978 Chevy LUV that I use to show in the 80's. Having to do a decent amount of rust repair.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,145 Posts
Spent 5 hrs yesterday crawling through the shop attic to pull wire for my RV outlet. Completely finished the job and now my RV has it own dedicated power source what a PITA.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
After driving the '57 Olds for a bit we realized that the factory power drum brakes fell a bit short in their ability to actually bring the car to a stop in a reasonable amount of time or distance. The power unit had long since departed this earth and pedal travel on the master cylinder was virtually non-existent.

In a nutshell - completely and utterly unsafe. So were stepping up to a complete power disc conversion. Ripping apart 64-year-old suspension parts was fun but the results will be worth the bloodshed.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Tread

Dog Floor Wood Flooring Gas

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood Tread

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I spent an hour troubleshooting the pump on my LG Signature washer. Need a new pump. I really hate that newfangled washer. The old Kenmore series 80 lasted for ever, this is the second LG washer in 9 years. Dryers are awesome, washers are awful. I just have to replace the pump but it’s aggravating.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,841 Posts
JeffG: With your '57 Oldsmobile, are you running the factory original wheels? Will you still be able to run them after this switch to disk brakes? (Just curious about possible differences between Chevy and Olds... :) )

UPDATE: I had to go find your posts addressing the Olds you have added to your garage, and I saw that it has larger aftermarket wheels.... and again I'm stunned by how good looking that car is... Wow... and a J2 as well?!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am wrapping up a power upgrade to my workshop where the magic happens with Daryl. The previous owners of the house build this 18' x 20' garage and only ran 12/2 Romex to it from the house, a run of about 175'. Make sure the lights are turned off when using the bead blaster and don't even think about heat. I ran #6 out there and wired it for 240V. My next project will be installing the heater.
Branch Twig Plant Grass Wood

Also, when the sun goes down I wander into the attached garage to make a little progress with Daryl's engine.
Gas Engineering Machine Differential Auto part

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Believe Eldon has been "traumatized" by the gremlins he's been chasing in Bertha.....................gene
I’m gonna catch the gremlins and have their livers with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. New pump should be here tomorrow, will hopefully have a working washer tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
A few years ago, I discovered the plumbing under the shop sink had been slowly leaking for a long, long time, and it left the cabinet a moldy mess.
Earlier this year, I decided to finally get things put back together, and get my sink back.
It took several months to get the cabinets, after ordering from KraftMaid.
I recently installed the new sink cabinet and two more adjacent cabinets and am planning to top them off with laminate covered plywood, edged with Alder.
Due to the sloped floor in the shop (so water would run toward the rollup door), I had to trim the cabinet bases at an angle to match the floor, each one shorter than its neighbor.
In the middle of the job, it was obvious I was missing a can light over the middle of the bench, so I had to open up the sloped ceiling and tie in a new one.

Wood Wall Gas Rectangle Audio equipment
Window Interior design Wood Building Hardwood
Rectangle Gas Circle Font Concrete

·
Premium Member
'57 210 4dr sedan 383/700R4
1,043 Posts
Ripped out the Entire '57 OEM-style fuel system and pump. Replacing it with new steel Tanks Inc tank, in-tank pump, flex line and A-N fittings. Just about ready to start cutting the trunk floor for access. Between the cold (unheated garage), working on the wife's car ('36 Ford), dealing with major crisis at son's place, and other diversions, it's moving more slowly than I'd like but trying to get a little done each day. The car isn't going anywhere 'til spring anyway, so no real hurry. Lots of time for trial fits and "measure 3 times, cut once", on top of figuring out where/how everything needs to mount so it has access without being in the way of anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As I work through the floor pans and rockers on the four door along with the myriad of other projects in the shop, my knees and back have redoubled their efforts with their mobility protests. I finally broke down and put together a cart from some old server rack pieces that can move heavy stuff like engine blocks and transmissions around the shop or across the yard to one of the shipping containers. It's controlled from my phone through the wifi at the property so it isn't limited to moving around just when I'm there. That last bit prompted me to add an outdoor security camera. Later I stuck a posable work light holder while I was under the four door and presently I'm drawing up some items for the CNC machine so I can have another arm that's able to hold stuff I want to weld. Naturally I concluded that if I was going to build a semi automated utility cart, why not do it with some style?

So I changed up a few things and remade it a bit taller as an homage to the greatest example of fine cinema our culture has ever produced:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

(left 'arm' shown is just some scrap aluminum tubing I tigged up for this picture)

As a bonus, the camera automatically tracks me when I wander around the shop and it's proven to be rather cathartic to have something I can make eye contact with, and blame, while I'm yelling about a tool I cannot find.

201 - 220 of 222 Posts