Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Maintenance day here yesterday. Weather was a balmy 60 degrees and clear sunny skies. I own an old '69 Suburban, and it sits a lot as I drive it maybe once a month. But it needed valve cover gaskets, and a little TLC.
Pulled the polished aluminum valve covers, and cleaned them up. Stuck new gaskets on with black RTV and put spare 1/4" bolts in the holes while they set up. Then went through valve lash and checked each cylinder to make sure all was well there. Reinstalled the valve covers, and did a quick cleanup under the hood. Didn't realize how funky it was until it was cleaned up and looking presentable again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Last Friday at my friends garage we pulled the 305 with Saginaw 4 spd. out of the 55. Sunday we dropped in the 388 stroker with a Muncie 4 spd. Since then we’ve been fussing and fitting headers, cutting off the B/H mounts, fabricating an alternator bracket, it’s the little details that take the most time. We still have to install the exhaust from the headers back, hook up the electrical, then maybe start her up for a test drive. This motor has excess of 500hp. Let’s see how long my open 55 rear end lasts. Lol

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Last Friday at my friends garage we pulled the 305 with Saginaw 4 spd. out of the 55. Sunday we dropped in the 388 stroker with a Muncie 4 spd. Since then we’ve been fussing and fitting headers, cutting off the B/H mounts, fabricating an alternator bracket, it’s the little details that take the most time. We still have to install the exhaust from the headers back, hook up the electrical, then maybe start her up for a test drive. This motor has excess of 500hp. Let’s see how long my open 55 rear end lasts. Lol
Little details also take way more money than we ever think they will. Just when you think you're about done spending, you get to the final assembly and watch the wallet empty!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Little details also take way more money than we ever think they will. Just when you think you're about done spending, you get to the final assembly and watch the wallet empty!
That is so true. Wifey keeps asking ”What are you buying today/now?” Why couldn’t you just leave the old engine in? MORE POWER!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Cleaning up my shop/garage so I can actually use the "work" benches for their intended purpose. They have been "storage/junk" benches for too many years. You have to find a new place to put all that stuff...it takes way too many hours. I have 1 of the 3 done so far.
This was my project before that, "frame off restoration"
Gas Jukebox Font Automotive lighting Technology

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Working on my 2nd cup of coffee..lol. To continue from yesterdays post I took advantage of the cold and snow covered field to light up my scrap wood pile last night . Had a pretty good 20 foot blaze going . I manged to finally get my 46 pickup carb and fuel pump off for a rebuild and replacement . Bad gas sure is nasty . So today will be a start up on a fireplace build in the house , laying out the plans for the hearth . All materials are in place so with 22 degrees out it will be a productive inside job. Better get moving ...spring forward has already made me late for work ! "Retirement".... it's just a word. Get r dun!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Started up the '56, moved her out of the garage, went around behind where she was parked and found a two foot circle of gas on the garage floor.
So for me, I will be working on replacing the fuel pump. Then the oil and filter.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
Along with helping wife keep my 1 yr old great grandson during several days during the week (while his mother is at work), I've been working to replace all the components in the fuel system, including fuel tank, fuel pump, filter, fuel and rubber lines, etc in my '69 Corvette roadster.
After driving it one day and filling the tank, it wouldn't start the next day! I first thought it was the fuel pump and after buying one, removing air conditioner compressor/etc to get to it and doing more checking, I found out there was crud in the fuel tank (original).

In getting to the fuel tank, I had to remove the spare tire carrier/spare tire/etc, and found that the spare tire was the original F70-15 Power Cushion Goodyear (with tits), apparently never on the ground! The tank is ready to come out but couldn't get it to drop down last night, so will try again today!

Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Road surface

I'll wash these up before reinstalling the spare tire and carrier.. :)

I've owned this car since1988 and had forgotten it had a spare tire lock on it... and it took me trying all my keys to find the one that unlocked it! (original '69 key)...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Along with helping wife keep my 1 yr old great grandson during several days during the week (while his mother is at work), I've been working to replace all the components in the fuel system, including fuel tank, fuel pump, filter, fuel and rubber lines, etc in my '69 Corvette roadster.
After driving it one day and filling the tank, it wouldn't start the next day! I first thought it was the fuel pump and after buying one, removing air conditioner compressor/etc to get to it and doing more checking, I found out there was crud in the fuel tank (original).

In getting to the fuel tank, I had to remove the spare tire carrier/spare tire/etc, and found that the spare tire was the original F70-15 Power Cushion Goodyear (with tits), apparently never on the ground! The tank is ready to come out but couldn't get it to drop down last night, so will try again today!

View attachment 361182

View attachment 361183

View attachment 361184

I'll wash these up before reinstalling the spare tire and carrier.. :)

I've owned this car since1988 and had forgotten it had a spare tire lock on it... and it took me trying all my keys to find the one that unlocked it! (original '69 key)...
Cool to see old original spares , I have the one from my 38 coupe that has become wall art. Is that a 15x 7 or 8" ralley , I think in 69 the Corvette was 15x8 . My wifes 68 Corvette I believe was originally 15x7 but we now have it surrounded by 8"

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
Yep, 15x8. 1968 Corvettes came with 15x7 Rallyes, and in '69 they went to 15x8... This car is a very late '69 (Aug 7, 1969) that I bought in 1988 with 36K miles on it; it now has mid-40's I think? NCRS restorers used to pay quite a lot for original unused spares; maybe I need to see what the market is for this one? :) The Michelin EPX tires I put on it in the early 90's are getting aged too... but look good as the car sits in my dark basement 99% of the time... :)

Between the cost of batterys and tires, it's essentially cost prohibitive for a 'regular' guy to own as many vehicles as I do.. (I'm a slow learner?)..

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I know what you mean BamaNomad. The last three years I sold three of my restored classics. I retired last year and have two I did frame offs left in garage with my Harley. Less maintenance and cost, more seat time.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I built this gas powered scooter from what was left of an electric scooter. I started off with a 60cc chainsaw engine, but after some time, the compression failed. Bottom photo.

So, I bought none of those Preditor 6.5 horsepower engines from Harbor Freight. It's too cold here right now to try it out, but it should really scoot. Top photo. View attachment 358905

View attachment 358904
So, here is the update on the scooter. I finally had some time to finish it. I rode it up and down the block a number of times , bringing it in to make adjustments between each run. As you can see, it is very rear heavy. Keeping that in mind, I leaned forward, especially during acceleration. As my luck would have it, I took off from a dead start, and about 15 feet in to the run, the front wheel came off of the pavement, and I got dumped onto the pavement. Landing on my back, I fractured 3 back ribs, and took the skin off of my left elbow. My reward for all of this is 4 weeks of not lifting anything, no driving, and sitting on my butt. Not a great way to start the summer.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
Assembled the engine for a 96 Corvette for a friend. Hope to put it in next weekend

Reactions: Icantdrive55

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
finishing a 1988 EFI toyota engine swap to a 1979 toyota 4x4 for neighbor. been a 6 month project. Man, those japanese LOVE lots of wires LOL but it came alive today. meanwhile my 55 sits with nothing on my new harness installed but fuse box and a bundle of wires laying in floorboard

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
original engine, lt1 it had hydro-locked a cylinder due to a stuck fuel injector had a bent rod and that had to be fixed along with some cylinder scaring from the rod damage. All I have left is to put on the intake and then install it in the car. it's a tight squeeze getting it back in.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts