Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 Bel Air more door hard top, 350ci with Super T-10 4 speed
123 Posts
Just replaced my crappy "foam rubber" carpet with some better loop in a darker red. Finished the Hurst super boot for the third time so I can actually shift my freshly rebuilt Super T10 without binding up the shifter. That was a huge pain in the AZZ. Got the seats back in. I also rebuilt the lower end of my steering column since I had a machine shop cut off the gear levers so they are out of the way. Now I have to pull the drivers door panel off again to get the stupid wire clip back on the door release linkage. I guess it's a special clip since it's a 4 Dr hardtop and a really lousy design. Had it fixed last weekend but it came back off after opening the door three times, UGGH! I'll do that tomorrow as I'm beat.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
What I just finished doing was putting my buddies 350 motor back together after only 500 miles my own dumb ass mistake. Swapped out the 350 turbo for a 700 R4 trans left the air cleaner off on purpose so if needed I could readjust the tv cable on its first test drive up the highway 70 mph 1 mile from my house everything great with the transmission stopped at a light the engine shut off & would not crank.Towed home confirmed it was locked up about to start pulling the engine decided to pull valve covers #7 intake valve showed stuck & this was what I found after pulling the head. The air cleaner stud was too short After my buddy brought me a new element that was taller & I had planned to replace it but flat forgot the day of the test drive. So 1 new piston heads to the machine shop when they pulled all the valves every guide was completely worn out on both heads & these were two brand new Pro Max vortec heads we bought when putting the engine together only 500 miles on them. I had already determined there was a issue the engine never ran as it should have after only a 100 miles or so a leak down test shown two cylinders with excessive leakage so I was planning on a tear down to determine that issue this winter. So in a way it was a good thing I was forced to tear down when I did.With the guides as they were it absolutely would have eventually dropped a valve. I'm out around $800. as the machine shop that sold me the heads would not stand behind them on replacing the valve guides.Not expected on the damage. Anyone thinking of buying new non GM vortec heads do your research I found lots of complaints on guide issues after this happened once I looked at reviews. The machine shop also replaced every valve along with the guides almost as if the heads were assembled dry with very tight valve to guide clearance it now runs as it should have when first put together engine vacuum high & smooth idle.Needless to say once running this weekend it got a proper length air cleaner stud with a locking nut to the carburetor expensive lesson but could have been much worst.

Attachments

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,525 Posts
Unfortunately these past 2 weeks and this week it's nothing to do with cars. I'm working on cleaning out and cleaning up the FIL's house from 60 years of accumulation inside and 10-15 years of overgrowth landscaping on a hilly yard outside to get it ready to sell. Taken (4) 8'x20' dump trailer loads stacked 4' high of Brush, and (10) loads of shhhhhtufff to to the dump already and will most likely make another 10 trips.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Just got my 350 roller motor back together after replacing all the pushrods and roller lifters. As with many parts suppliers, I got sent the wrong non hardened pushrods, so when I put the new Dart SHP aluminum heads on my engine the guide plates wore the pushrods, and the fine metallic particles plugged up lifters and caused them to fail.
So after a massive cleaning, new pushrods, new lifters, and new oil and filter, it's ready to fire again. Was waiting for the RTV to set properly, and then refill the coolant and fire it up.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I brought my 57 150 home from winter storage and had a great ride in the country . Now nestled in the home garage it's ready for some fun . My wife went with me and we took some pics at a local covered bridge, an old mill and our Catholic Church front . Cruising with the ac and 5 speed was a highlight . Car is all black and really straight . The Hopster American Racing Wheels lend more to a street rod look so today I will be swapping out the Hopsters for a new set of good ole Cragar SS and BFG's . Black and Cragars goes together like peas and carrots...lol.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
There is a ton of sub par parts being supplied to the public & it only seems to get worse when I put my buddies 350 roller motor together I was looking for a decent price on a set of roller lifters & pushrods I bought Elgin lifters & pushrods as the brand name has been around for years.They were noisy from the very beginning & I readjusted them twice & still had noise even adjusting them to a full turn which I never do usually 1/4-1/2 turn & after finding the worn out valve guides on the new Pro Max heads I really felt likely the guides were the source of the lifter noise. If so it was from the very beginning & I decided not to trust them & replaced them with a new set of Delphi rollers on my dime which now is completely quite. I also checked all the pushrods & replaced 3 that weren't straight one likely from what happened.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
There is a ton of sub par parts being supplied to the public & it only seems to get worse when I put my buddies 350 roller motor together I was looking for a decent price on a set of roller lifters & pushrods I bought Elgin lifters & pushrods as the brand name has been around for years.They were noisy from the very beginning & I readjusted them twice & still had noise even adjusting them to a full turn which I never do usually 1/4-1/2 turn & after finding the worn out valve guides on the new Pro Max heads I really felt likely the guides were the source of the lifter noise. If so it was from the very beginning & I decided not to trust them & replaced them with a new set of Delphi rollers on my dime which now is completely quite. I also checked all the pushrods & replaced 3 that weren't straight one likely from what happened.
Since I have a Howard's cam I went with Howard's lifters. But I found out I could have saved $50 by going with Melling as it seems they supply lifters to Howard's. Of course I was in a hurry to get the engine fixed, and back together, and did some searching while waiting for my parts to arrive.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I am trying soooooo hard to get my last steps done for my first run to the inspection lane with my '57 Panel. There have been so many delays from last Fall into now.

Last night I was able to get lug nuts on all 6 lugs on the driver front wheel so it does not fail for that, but 2 on the front pass side are going to have to go through with the tips broken off. I'm hoping they'll give me a T tag and a slip to go get them fixed.

I have so much stress about running this thing through the inspection lane. You can either get a real enthusiast, or, a real POS :(

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I am trying soooooo hard to get my last steps done for my first run to the inspection lane with my '57 Panel. There have been so many delays from last Fall into now.

Last night I was able to get lug nuts on all 6 lugs on the driver front wheel so it does not fail for that, but 2 on the front pass side are going to have to go through with the tips broken off. I'm hoping they'll give me a T tag and a slip to go get them fixed.

I have so much stress about running this thing through the inspection lane. You can either get a real enthusiast, or, a real POS :(
Any reason you couldn't just pull the hub off the passenger side and replace the two studs to make it OK?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I just finished refreshing my 20 year old MSD distributor, something outside my experience in the past. Took my time with taking apart with plenty of pictures. Rust was really bad and some parts fought. I did have to replace some parts and there was a lot of clean up. I ordered a set of springs and bushings and elected to go with a moderate selection. Happy to report it started on the first try and timing was very close to spot on!! Running really good now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
Right now I'm rebuilding the FI unit from Steve McQueen's 57 Bel Air Conv. It's a 4800 unit.
It had some early day modifications done by John Marquardt who was in So Cal and was considered to be an early day FI guru.
I AM NOT restoring it to original factory configuration. I'm doing a few improvements to John M's modifications. I feel it should be restored as it was modified by John M. for historical posterity.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Of course, I forgot to mention that we are ALWAYS working on the A-26. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It took 22yrs to go from 8 bazillion pieces to flyable.

17yrs ago when I joined the group. Our first home at Wiley Post airport in Okla City, until 2009, when we moved (in pieces) to Guthrie, OK.
View attachment 359048

I'm working on restoring one of the fuel cells, after we moved to Guthrie.
View attachment 359049

Our first engine about 11yrs ago.
View attachment 359050

Getting ready to start up the engines for the very first time, 3yrs ago
View attachment 359051

Our VERY FIRST airshow appearance in Greenville, TX, Nov 6, 2021. Me and a very dear friend at a Govt contractor for the USAF.
View attachment 359052

Our second home in Guthrie, OK for 12yrs.
View attachment 359053

4wks ago we moved to our new home (HOPEFULLY permanent) in Ada, OK.
View attachment 359054

Third test flight---------------VERY SUCCESSFUL!!! But still LOTS of little things still to be done.
Go to full screen and turn up the volume.

As flight engineer, I'm sitting behind the co-pilot on our flight out of Guthrie en-route to the new home in Ada.
Was almost an FE, but 130s phased them out so I ended up a RO on C2 platforms (or assault systems that needed a RO...kinda Spooky...that Spectre still lingers).

I really loved seeing that rebuild....thanks!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I just finished putting my Harley back together after last years accident with a deer. It broke my lower left leg in two, wiped out my left gas tank and front fender, soo...repainted new tanks and fender. Ready for this years trip around the USA.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

121 - 140 of 149 Posts