Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat new to the car rebuild process however I know enough to get myself in trouble:)

I have a 55 Bel Air w/a 350 trying to figure out what carb this is, the number on the side are, 7044118 and here's a picture.
Thanks!
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup

Yup it's a 2 barrel for sure. I called NAPA w/the carb# and they did confirm it was a Rochester.
I've never rebuilt a carb before, how difficult is it??

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Rebuilding a carb is fairly easy, especially a 2 barrel carb..

I am sure there are videos on youtube that will help.

Otis :)

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Yup it's a 2 barrel for sure. I called NAPA w/the carb# and they did confirm it was a Rochester.
I've never rebuilt a carb before, how difficult is it??
Its a later rochester 2gc. Id say mid 70's.

Ive got one in the shop just like it. The top opening is slightly larger than the earlier ones. Rebuilding is not difficult, just requires patience and attention to detail. As the man said, watch the youtube videos. There is a series on there on just rochester 2 barrels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTf2yrGcA4

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebuilt Carb done but...

well, I wasn't able to rebuild my old Rochester carb because the last person who rebuilt it, had their way with it on the inside causing it to be impossible to rebuild. But....I was able to purchase a rebuild carb from O'Rileys and just finished installing it:)

Question:
When I start her up, she runs rough and wont idle and the only way I can keep her going to to keep the gas on at about 2k rpm's (just guessing at the rpm's). But even w/the higher rpm's, she seems to be choking out and I just don't know how to adjust a carb to run properly.
Fyi, I put an electric fuel pump in that pumps 5-7psi (I wonder if this is a problem)

Any input is greatly appreciated:)

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I never have had any luck with re-manufactured or rebuilts from a auto parts store. But make sure you don't have a vacuum leak as that will make it run real rough and even die at an idle. If not then I'd start by checking the float level and idle mixture screws.:anim_25:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
There are two idle mixture screws on the base of the carb. Run them in and count how many turns you have on each. Seems like I used to set them at 3.1/2 turns to start. (somebody correct me if I am wrong) It might be 1 1/2.

Don't run them in hard against the stops as this will damage the jets. Back them out till you have the highest RPM without moving the throttle. Make sure your engine is warm and the choke is completely open.

As mentioned, make very sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Spray around the base of the carb and the intake manifold with WD 40 or carb cleaner. You should not get any change in how it runs when you spray. If you do, there is a leak.

I doubt you have a float issue, as if it is stuck open you would have gas running all over the place. If its stuck closed you get nothing and if its just low it runs ok at idle but not at full RPM>

Good luck with it, You will find the solution.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I've only set air/fuel mix screws(needle valves)
on Holleys in more recent years.I start by gently
seating the needle valves and then backing them
out about 1 1/2 turns each,then fire the engine
and adjust them to the highest RPM from there.:anim_25:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fuel Regulator

I've had bad luck w/two fuel regulators that wont back off the fuel pressure. My rebuilt carb keeps leaking and the fuel pump is putting out 8psi.

I've thought about trashing the 2 carb Rochester and going w/a 4 barrel Edelbrock but would still need to put a fuel regulator on..err...

Any suggestions on which fuel regulator to use (that works)??

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuel Pump?

I'm new at this stuff so please bear w/me. If I were to get a manual pump, how would know which one to buy? All I know is, I have a 350 in my Bel Air now.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Unless your block is later model and not drilled for a fuel pump a 65 Corvette Fuel injection 327 is the best SBC pump. However, a 57 model 283 stock replacement will feed that 2 barrel. All SBC fuel pumps pretty much interchange except the deep ones that dont clear frames on 55-57.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
place

It looks like there is a place w/a plate on it to cover up the spot for a manual pump on top of the engine near the carb.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
It looks like there is a place w/a plate on it to cover up the spot for a manual pump on top of the engine near the carb.
Then all you need is a plate with a hole in it and a push rod, You can get these off a 262, 265, 267, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350 or 400 55-86

1 - 20 of 22 Posts