Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raised the coilover shocks on the 55 wagon. I went up 1 inch.

I am assuming the camber has now changed, but would it affect the toe or caster?

Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
Caster for sure, probable toe-in with or with out bump-steer. Drive shaft angle also depending on how much you lowered it... Al

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I get the whole car goes up in the front, changing things like the driveshaft angle relative to the earth, but it does not change relative to the car does it?

I also get the caster might increase since the car now is higher in the front, changing the degrees measured from a level floor....maybe. But if you start with 0 camber, raise it, then rezero camber, wouldn't the caster stay a constant, provided equal amount of shims were placed front and rear.

Basically, I had to insert 1/4 worth of shims each side, front and back to get back to 0 camber after the 1 inch raise.

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
You've got the camber part right.

On the caster, the caster angle is measured relative to the ground. If you raise or lower only one end of the car, the caster changes. 1" change in ride height at one end of the car = about 0.5°. If you change both ends, caster wouldn't change.

The driveshaft angle only changes if you raise or lower the rear of the car. 1" change = about 1°. This is probably not a big deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts