Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was the 56 V8 engine red? I've seen both red and orange at shows on other 56s but don't know whats correct. Also what was the chevrolet script color on the valve cover?

·
Registered
887 Posts
The 56 265 V8 engine was a Chevrolet Engine Red. 55 265 and 57 283s were Chevrolet Engine Orange.

The "Engine Detailing What Color Was It?" document says the the lettering on the 56/57 V8 valve covers was silver.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Scripts on the 57s could have been silver, black or plain (orange).

Was that the same for the 55s and 56s?

Concensus seems to dictate some sort of colouring for the scripts, but that's not the way all of them were - at least for the 57s.

And we're talking V8s here. Have no knowledge of the 6s.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I tried painting my '56 engine the original red. It was almost a plum red color, so I scratched that idea. It was not a very attractive color.

If I still have the paint you can have it if you want.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Not to insert any negative vibes, but I pray for sanity's sake this doesn't turn into a painted script argument thread. :)
Will, they are almost as bad as the "how wide a tire can I put under my..."

I have a 56 265 with black script LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tried painting my '56 engine the original red. It was almost a plum red color, so I scratched that idea. It was not a very attractive color.

If I still have the paint you can have it if you want.
Yes, the '56 engine red was a little darker and deeper red just like Geoff and Tom Ordway have described. I believe the correct color is Hirsch Red.

Yet, everytime I go to a Classic Chevy show where cars are being judged, 99.9% of the 1956s are painted the wrong color. The majority of them are either orange, or orange with a very slight tint of red. A lot of them are painted the Matador Red (which is very orange), like the exterior paint on a 1956.

Nonetheless, these cars are never down graded for having the wrong engine color because most of the people who judge today are only interested in over the top paint jobs and shiny chrome or custom parts, and do not know or care about originality.

Below are pictures of my 1956 engine which has the correct color:

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,005 Posts
Inline 6 scripts were painted engine color they had a decal for what they were.

Now have I read in one if the guides that the v8 scripts were black for 2 bbl and power packs were painted silver for 55-57. I sure this can be debated like everything else color wise. Are there not any unrestored cars low mile cars that could be used
To document these type of debates as to what is correct?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

I've gotta ask, what is the story of the air cleaner decal being on the snorkel? My understanding was that it was supposed to be on the drivers side of the snorkel on the oil bath housing itself.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've gotta ask, what is the story of the air cleaner decal being on the snorkel? My understanding was that it was supposed to be on the drivers side of the snorkel on the oil bath housing itself.
Well, I know a lot of people think that the proper location for the decal was just to the right of the snorkel (driver's side) and even Eeeeeeckler's promotes that on their parts site and in their judging propaganda. In reality, many 4 bbls had the decal on top of the snorkel from the factory, but the more common location was on the side as you indicated.

Randy Irwin refers to this in the diagram schematics of each air cleaner in the March 2013 Chevy Classics (Eeeeeeckler's) article he wrote "1955-57 V8 Air Cleaner Identification & Restoration".

So either location is factory correct.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My original, never restored 1956 Bel Air 4 door sedan, still with it's original Powerpack engine, does NOT have the script painted a separate color than the valve cover.

Car has 76K miles, I am the third owner, car was bought new in the area where I currently live. Car is a late 56, built in August of 1956. Engine is a Tonawanda assembly.

Car had sat since 1983 (stored indoors) when I got it. I had to pull the engine to replace the rusted out freeze plugs. I cleaned, but did not paint the original engine. The engine purrs when it is running...it is very smooth.

I am sure that results vary from original or original car.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Was the 56 V8 engine red? I've seen both red and orange at shows on other 56s but don't know whats correct. Also what was the chevrolet script color on the valve cover?

56 enngine was red....won many gups of coffee on that.....:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, the '56 engine red was a little darker and deeper red just like Geoff and Tom Ordway have described. I believe the correct color is Hirsch Red.

Yet, everytime I go to a Classic Chevy show where cars are being judged, 99.9% of the 1956s are painted the wrong color. The majority of them are either orange, or orange with a very slight tint of red. A lot of them are painted the Matador Red (which is very orange), like the exterior paint on a 1956.

Nonetheless, these cars are never down graded for having the wrong engine color because most of the people who judge today are only interested in over the top paint jobs and shiny chrome or custom parts, and do not know or care about originality.

That is one sweet looking engine, I wish my 56's engine looked that good but someone stuck a chrome kit on it :-( still looking for some script covers for it!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Until you have a certified 99.9 point car it's pretentious to obsess over your valve scripts.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I totally disagree on needing to be a 99 point car. My 56 will be a restomod but having the correct colored script is a detail thing. I'm thinking pink on the script might look kinda funny

·
Registered
136 Posts
I totally disagree on needing to be a 99 point car. My 56 will be a restomod but having the correct colored script is a detail thing. I'm thinking pink on the script might look kinda funny
I'm still trying to figure out where a 99 point car started in the conversation. I merely stated that 99.9% of the 1956 cars being judged had engines that were painted the wrong color. Secondly, they don't judge on a 100 point scale, it's a 1000 point scale.

I'm thinking maybe someone didn't entirely read our postings. Do we have some congressmen on TriFive.com?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts