Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1299 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Well, I sincerely take Dave's experience and comments seriously...but as mentioned the deed is already done: I have the Lizard Skin sound control product on the floor, both top side and underneath. I'll also be using undercoating on the underside for additional water/elements protection. On the top side will be strategic use of the Boom Mat, along with a thermal carpet underlayment. For the roof, I used the Lizard Skin ceramic coating, and will add Design Engineering D-Mat, which is a engineered lightweight thermal insulator advertised to reduce 65% of heat up to 325*F. I'll use it between the bows, and will use a spray adhesive to help keep it in place, although it's designed to be able to lay on the topside of the headliner. To reply to Gary's question, yes it is a spray on product, and there was a noticeable difference in the noise response of the floor right after I sprayed it on. It's kind of hard to tell what it'll be like since the glass isn't in yet, but with the extra attention I'm giving the issue it should be very quiet inside. I put what I then considered extra insulation in my '38 Sedan when I built it and have been happy I did so ever since.
JR

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Dave,... or 'Stretch'... I'm thinking that 'Stretch, twist, turn, and contort' would be a more descriptive name... :) ... for those of us working on Nomads...

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Yes, and my old body really hurts from all that 'contorting'... :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,245
Change from Dave to Stretch.
1) Around here Davlin also is a Dave. And he is a very helpful man for us. 👍
2) Stretch is actually my longtime nickname.
Pertaining to my last name. 🤔
And my coworkers at the Firehouse say I can really stretch out a BS story during a 24 hr shift . 🤓

First day off from shift in many months, that I have actually avoided the Shop all day.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yeah, I've noted the presence of a few 'Daves' here - same reason I've used my initials for most of my life. Nice to have the background on 'Stretch' (y)
JR

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,247
Opened box from Schafer’s . Stainless exhaust pipes. Nomad / Wagon / SD.
Front - made a foot longer than normal.
Rear - two piece
Ordered no mufflers.
Recently ordered a few mixed sets for guys through member Jay Hammond .
J, always a pleasure to deal with.
Stretch

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Dave, Are you suggesting that we should consider your posts of Nomad work to be a ..... 'stretch'....? :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,249
No sir. Very much appreciate all the info I can gain here . And once in awhile able to pitch in a tid bit .
So, lets get back to our regularly scheduled program.
Lets hear some Nomad war stories or progress updates.
Stretch

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm repairing two missing bolt hole lugs on my liftgate bottom garnish molding,,,saving the nitty gritty and pics for my build thread.

There are only four Nomads including mine in this immediate area (that I am aware of...), Two all black, one red/white top, and mine. I happened to see one of the black ones this evening. It was built a few years ago and is sharp...the word I got on it was it had its roof replaced. The owner owned an upholstery shop for many years - this was his retirement project. All leather interior, very nice. Will be nice someday to get a picture of the three local black ones together. Close as I can come to a Nomad War story today, Stretch.

Haven't heard from some of the others recently.....??? kjhandel showed some awesome pics of his '56 project a few weeks ago....Tropturq got some nice exhaust pipes...Any updates guys?

JR

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
I've installed a few more pieces of stainless exterior trim, and found out the stainless WS retainer (for above the liftgate) that I purchased from Jerry Carbunoc a couple of years ago at the Roanoke CNA convention are too wide to fit in the channel above my liftgate. I'm thinking I will have a local shop make me one from aluminum sized to fit. Once I have one that fits, my plan is to prime/paint it to match the body before I install it...

After spending entirely too long looking for a tool or two that I needed, I ended up spending a couple of hours picking up tools off various workbenches where I'd used them and returned them all to the tool box (where they belong and where they are easier to find when I need something rather than wandering around several workplaces 'looking'... ) :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,252
Bama, my WS Retainer from Jerry, I only had to trim a little off bottom edge in two spots near the hinges. IMO, his product is very nice for its application.
Not sure another person’s home made is going to fit WS properly and fold down nice ?Stretch.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A nice pair of shears may trim that retainer easily... I know the channel on the lip of mine was not uniformly wide across the lenght and I had to trim it a little. Worth a try - ? How are you planning on affixing it to the lip? I'll agree with Stretch that a home-fabbed retainer will not compare favorably to Jerry's in appearance. After installing the one I made - which wound up being very easy to do and cost less than 2 bucks - seems to work like a charm, and is less visible than the ones on the c-pillars . Just food for thought.
JR

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,254
Bama , reading back in your post this evening. Just caught on to you think about having a rear WS retainer made out of Aluminum.

IMO , Jerry’s SS retainer would be so much better than hand made aluminum.
Just looking out for ya bud. It really needs to be folded over tight to pinch WS securely in place.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,255
Wheel Well padding and covers installed. Me used head and farmed it out.
Guy came to Car. 👍

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
After spending 3 hrs doing my weekly yardwork today, I did spend a little time this afternoon on the Nomad...

JR: I have some large shears but it's difficult to cut 1/8" or less of a piece 42" long... so I resorted to a zip disk and that seems to be working although slowly... I took some material off and hopefully tomorrow I can finish that so it fits the channel.

I also mounted a couple more pieces of exterior stainless this afternoon...

Dave: I have a different opinion of the stainless pieces that Jerry C sold me, besides being too wide to fit the channel, are also too stiff (too thick?) to bend over the curve it needs to.. so I'm still thinking a piece of aluminum will work better (or even a thin piece of mild steel (as Chevy installed in the '56-57 models in the factory)... Personally, I'd be ashamed to sell people this part as being a 'solution' to a problem!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,257
Bam a, start with Jerry’s n the middle, work towards the outside. You can actually use spring clamps to test fit to verify it will match the curvature . Before you mount permanently. End product, It will pinch down and WS will be in place forever.
Stretch

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Dave/Stretch!~ :) The part JerryC sold me is: 1) about twice as thick as the original metal (mild steel) that GM used, and 2) It's stainless and much stiffer as well even if it was the same thickness, and 3) it's made too wide to fit in my channel. It would be easier and faster for me to MAKE my own piece than to trim his piece down. I really don't think it requires a LOT to retain the W/S IF your liftgate frame is properly straightened (curved) to fit the curvature of the roof. When I redid my '56 Nomad w/s a couple of years ago, the original painted thin steel was still in great shape... still working after 60+ years! I will tell Jerry C how I feel about his part when I next see him...

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
No worries Dave. It will get done, but perhaps NOT with the parts I bought from Jerry (for $60 each as I recall)...

1241 - 1260 of 1299 Posts