Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1561 - 1580 of 1627 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I finally brought my project 56 that I bought 20 years ago out of storage, and have it home in my garage. Don't have extra parts, in fact missing a couple, but I spent time assessing, and planning. Been working at getting the 350 that came with it, to run. Since I haven't posted what's transpired until now, let's just say, I'm adjusting the front motor mounts, so that it will sit still when I do start it up.
It had an electric pump, but it and the tank -pump line was gummed up, so started to install a mechanical pump to pull off a jerry can. When I pulled the top mount bolt, to use longer bolt to hold pushrod, the motor dropped. Mounts had been trimmed and on wrong sides. They had used only the top bolt to secure. I figured they did that to clear the 8" balancer. So trying to get it off, to replace with 6-3/4, then continue. All I want to do, is run it so that I can get idea of condition.
I'll try to start a project thread, when I actually start progressing.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I finally brought my project 56 that I bought 20 years ago out of storage, and have it home in my garage. Don't have extra parts, in fact missing a couple, but I spent time assessing, and planning. Been working at getting the 350 that came with it, to run. Since I haven't posted what's transpired until now, let's just say, I'm adjusting the front motor mounts, so that it will sit still when I do start it up.
It had an electric pump, but it and the tank -pump line was gummed up, so started to install a mechanical pump to pull off a jerry can. When I pulled the top mount bolt, to use longer bolt to hold pushrod, the motor dropped. Mounts had been trimmed and on wrong sides. They had used only the top bolt to secure. I figured they did that to clear the 8" balancer. So trying to get it off, to replace with 6-3/4, then continue. All I want to do, is run it so that I can get idea of condition.
The front mounts can be trimmed to allow the use of the 8 inch balancer

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Use the 8" balancer. Trim the mounts you have or get another set and trim them.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Pics or did I miss them?

·
Registered
Denver, Colorado 1956 Nomad
1,143 Posts
I figured they did that to clear the 8" balancer. So trying to get it off, to replace with 6-3/4, then continue.
A recent topic was posted here not too long ago talking about front motor mount clearance problems with the 8" harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the support, and link to the 400 install. I was grinding to fit, but thought it would make things easier if I installed the smaller one. I'll keep trimming them down to fit the 8" one, tomorrow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Brackets are trimmed, picked out the best bushings I had, and tightened them up. If I stay in town tomorrow, I'll work on firing it up. I will be installing side mounts and trans crossmember this winter, when I set it up for 89 IROC driveline.
Here's the pics, for those that like them! Motor vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part Engineering Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yesterday morning my dog Koda and I took the Nomad and drove up to Mikey's (55wagoncrazy) shop. Mikey wanted to move 3 non-operational cars around to different locations in his shop and enclosed storage trailer. So, we moved Mikey's nephew Donovan's 1955 2 DR Sedan out of the trailer and into the shop, so that Donovan can start working on it. Next we moved Donovan's 60's era Ford Torino basket-case into the trailer. And lastly, we moved Mikey's pristine 55 convertible out of its tent in his shop (where it had been hibernating for the past 15 years), and pushed it outside. Here we all dusted and rinsed it off. It is not yet fully detailed, but looks fantastic in all of its Gypsy Red glory! After we put in a charged battery and some premium gas, it started right up. Then the convertible was put back in the shop and on Mikey's lift, so that the bottom of the car could be inspected and detailed. After all of this effort, Mikey, Donovan, and I went out to lunch. My Aussie Koda enjoyed the hamburger and two bacon slices that we gave him for lunch.

Around 1 PM, we started installing a front sway/ stabilizer bar on my Nomad that I had purchased from I-5 Classic Parts. They sell the sway bar that is produced by Gene Smith. It is a 100% correct reproduction of the original bar that GM offered as an option for the Tri-Fives. This stabilizer bar was available as RPO-406 in 1955 and was illustrated in the assembly manual. It has well designed and very stout mounting hardware which is included in the kit. It took about 3 hours to install, because we wanted to make sure of our measurements. The instructions from RPO-406 give precise measurements for installation, which we found to be spot on. When we were finished, Mikey and I took the Nomad out for a test ride.

The improvement in the ride was phenomenal! There is no body lean going into turns, and it handles like a modern car. There is no more wallowing or body lean in turns, curves, or roundabouts. Talk about a huge bang for the buck, this is it! And the frosting on the cake, is that this stabilizer bar is a genuine factory accessory, RPO-406. So, even the stock purists can feel good about installing one of these sway bars on their cars.

Here are some photos of the installation. I also attached the instructions for 1955's RPO-406. The 1957 assembly manual lists the stabilizer bar as LPO-1025. The stabilizer bar is inexplicably missing from the 1956 assembly manual.

Steve

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
White Product Organism Motor vehicle Art

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,604 Posts
Yes it was a very nice stress free day around my shop! Today it is nose to the grind stone again.

If you look at the instruction you will see the stabalizer link bolts are installed with the threads down, reverse of the instructions. We did this so the bolt doesn't make contact with the frame.

Mikey

Reactions: ETriggs

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,013 Posts
Good job and great report guys! :)

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
402 Posts
Installed a new column tach. It is made by Bosch #FST-8050. Pretty simple wiring and works great with the original points distributor. Has a green backlight that is kinda close to the gauge cluster hue.

Reactions: zookpr

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Kal, that tach matches up very well to the 'look' of your original speedometer/cluster... :)

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
402 Posts
Had a good cruise this weekend, recently the powerglide has had some issues going into reverse the first time. All the mounts were good so got some time in the shop manual and found that at some point the entire column had shifted slightly counter clockwise. Nice to know there is a factory spec for the angle of the shift lever in each gear. 51 degrees in park if anyone is curious. Got the column lined up and slight adjustment to the linkage and we are good to go. Also was not getting the proper kickdown, and found that I was about 3/4" off from the recommended 2-7/8".

The only noticable leak I saw on the PG was from the shift shaft. Is the seal an easy fix from the outside of the case or do I need special tools to pull the shaft or anything? Looks like a metal/rubber bushing behind the linkage.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,604 Posts
I cannot believe you let those 2 near your car, all they want to do is rip it apart and modify it!!!

Mikey

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
I suspect that they had to PAY Stretch for use of his car as 'background' for their selfie shots... ?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,580 ·
Camera crew in charge. Walked through with Club members pointing them cars to highlight. Kinda deviated to Nomad on their own. I stepped away , and got pic of good guy Dave w/ bad guy Kev.

1561 - 1580 of 1627 Posts