Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a diff to replace the 4.11 diff in my 57. was told its out off a 57. cant work out the gears. i dont really want to take the center out.
i turned the yoke 1 3/4 turns to 1 full turn of the axle. that dosnt add up to any gear ratio that i know. the numbers on the center are
E259
GM14
any one know what it could be?
thanks.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
On a non-posi rear end, you have to turn one axle 2 revolutions while the other axle is stationary, to get the ratio. Sounds like a 3.55.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that. it appears that your right. thats the ratio i was hoping for. with the o/d 3 speed box it should be a good economical cruser.the bloke i bouhgt it from did not know what ratio it was. it came with a lowering block kit and springs,mine are cracked, and near new brakes for $100. in aussie a center will often sell for more, so im more than happy with my purchase.
thanks again
andrew.

·
Registered
762 Posts
thanks for that. it appears that your right. thats the ratio i was hoping for. with the o/d 3 speed box it should be a good economical cruser.the bloke i bouhgt it from did not know what ratio it was. it came with a lowering block kit and springs,mine are cracked, and near new brakes for $100. in aussie a center will often sell for more, so im more than happy with my purchase.
thanks again
andrew.
Yes, Aussie 3 speed manuals used a 3.55 ratio rear end. Are you using 14" or 15" rims? I run a 3.36 with 5 speed with 14" Cokers and it sure cruises well.

Geoff B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts