Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,483 Posts
I think its one of those builds that the designer had a grand vision, executed it masterfully, then realized its not everyone's cup of tea. That's probably why its not seen often...

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
No need to get personal and snarky. I've yet to see actual PROOF of this being real, other than anecdotal comments, and links that do not actually say it's real. FWIW, this has been on TriFive previously.
Sorry if me pointing out that you are wrong makes this personal.

It is pride that goeth before the fall.

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Grille

You are wrong,

You can not admit it for some reason beyond my comprehension.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. was not my intent

People consistently just post comments like "Photo shopped" and then when shown they are mistaken just continue to defend their statements. Fine

Now that I see what "type" of person you are I will give zero weight to your opinions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Note that a 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab is 71.6" wide, while a '57 chevy is 73.9 inches wide.

Wonder how the mystery builder gained or lost 2.3" ? Windshield would be hard to cut and insert glass extension! Therefore the Hood, grille, trunk lid, and bumpers were all narrowed?

Doubtful. Still haven't seen any real proof of this existing.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Note that a 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab is 71.6" wide, while a '57 chevy is 73.9 inches wide.

Wonder how the mystery builder gained or lost 2.3" ? Windshield would be hard to cut and insert glass extension! Therefore the Hood, grille, trunk lid, and bumpers were all narrowed?

Doubtful. Still haven't seen any real proof of this existing.
Wow, f&$$$%$(ing WOW :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Take a closer look at the detailed pics in the links, like the one Robert Haas posted and it will show it's obviously not a photoshop. Look at all the small details (or lack of detail), the way the body lines don't line up, there is no way you'd photoshop it and make it that clunky on purpose.

The width spec means nothing, the cab is still obviously Dakota (negating your windshield point) and the published width spec is just at the widest point of each vehicle, on some vehicles that's the tire sidewalls or bumper corners. You can see the front fenders pointing slightly outwards and if needed, trimming the sides of the hood and the middle insert of the 3 piece bumpers is pretty trivial to someone going to this much work. Where the one piece '57 grille bar sits sure makes it look like the bumper has indeed been narrowed. Nobody making a photoshop would use that generic parts store side molding above the grille.

I shouldn't have to go further, common sense at this point should show that it's not a photoshop.

Reactions: Robert Haas

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
It wouldn't take that much work to make up the difference in width by simply adding a narrow strip to the gap of hood to fender on each side. Especially if the builder added to both hood edge, and fender edge. A bit over 1/2" to each would make up the 2.3" needed.
I still think it's a waste of good '57 Chevy parts though.

·
Premium Member
13,874 Posts
Seems like it would have been much easier to do that with a 57 4dr wagon instead of adapting everything. That’s if it’s real anyway. The thing does look cartoonish at some angles.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
yep it ain't purty, but it makes people look at it and could be just the ticket for a Tri Five based business as a general purpose light duty company car.

·
Registered
795 Posts
yep it ain't purty, but it makes people look at it and could be just the ticket for a Tri Five based business as a general purpose light duty company car.
If I wanted a tri-five shop truck for a tri-five based business, I think I'd cut a wagon (hopefully a damaged one) down to a ute instead of tacking '57 panels on a Dakota, but that's just me. I think a tri-five ute / 'El Camino' could look really good if done with an eye for styling and some attention to detail.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
If I wanted a tri-five shop truck for a tri-five based business, I think I'd cut a wagon (hopefully a damaged one) down to a ute instead of tacking '57 panels on a Dakota, but that's just me. I think a tri-five ute / 'El Camino' could look really good if done with an eye for styling and some attention to detail.
Having a nice driving, air conditioned, light duty truck that can get 25MPG is just the ticket. Top it off with the reliability of a 9 year old chassis and drive-train and you have a company car. It is an all weather comfortable vehicle. A 65 year old anything would not fare well as a daily beater.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Then build it based on a S10 or Colorado rather than a Dodge death wagon.
Those Dakotas are just as crappy as the S 10s from that generation. I understand the loyalty to GM but the Dakota may have been a easier fit for the builder, or maybe just something laying around.

Dunno.

·
Registered
795 Posts
A 65 year old anything would not fare well as a daily beater.
I'm still foolish enough to try. Eventually I'll run out of parts to replace and it will only be as unreliable as it was in 1955.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I'm still foolish enough to try. Eventually I'll run out of parts to replace and it will only be as unreliable as it was in 1955.
When you will walk out to your car at 10oclock at night in a rainstorm and drive it 2 hours one way and back with out flinching,.. I'll concede you have the correct tool for the job.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts