Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
When you will walk out to your car at 10oclock at night in a rainstorm and drive it 2 hours one way and back with out flinching,.. I'll concede you have the correct tool for the job.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the correct tool for the job, definitely not the best tool for the job, but the idea is with enough time and money put in, it will be an adequate tool for the job and more importantly I enjoy using it more than a 2015 Blandmobile.

Back to the thread, I still think for your example of a tri-five business 'truck', making an example of what you can actually do with a tri-five is better advertising than sticking panels on a Dakota. Surely with the modern chassis and engine options, a competent shop could make a tri-five viable for advertising and fair weather parts delivery type duty. While it certainly shows some creativity, I don't know that I'd hire the builder of the 'Bel-Kota' to design and build a car for me, would you?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the correct tool for the job, definitely not the best tool for the job, but the idea is with enough time and money put in, it will be an adequate tool for the job and more importantly I enjoy using it more than a 2015 Blandmobile.

Back to the thread, I still think for your example of a tri-five business 'truck', making an example of what you can actually do with a tri-five is better advertising than sticking panels on a Dakota. Surely with the modern chassis and engine options, a competent shop could make a tri-five viable for advertising and fair weather parts delivery type duty. While it certainly shows some creativity, I don't know that I'd hire the builder of the 'Bel-Kota' to design and build a car for me, would you?
If I ordered a door hinge from some local tri five parts house and the driver breaks down on the Santa Monica freeway because his bitchin Nomad/el camino is sitting on the side of the road,.....

More to the point a shop truck by nature is driven by the shops gopher, and I ain't sending Biff "the bionic bong buster" to shag parts in any classic. Now some 6 cylinder wundermobile,....yea I would be ok with that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If I ordered a door hinge from some local tri five parts house and the driver breaks down on the Santa Monica freeway because his bitchin Nomad/el camino is sitting on the side of the road,.....

More to the point a shop truck by nature is driven by the shops gopher, and I ain't sending Biff "the bionic bong buster" to shag parts in any classic. Now some 6 cylinder wundermobile,....yea I would be ok with that.
Yeah if it's a parts shop hiring bottom of the barrel employees, give them some 5-10 year old pickup and good enough. I thought you were talking about a custom / resto shop specializing in tri-fives. For a parts shop, whatever, I wouldn't hold this Dakota... thing.. against them. A custom shop however? Nah.

·
Registered
760 Posts
A wagon converted into an El Camino would have been a better project. Of course, this way they got the benefit of the modern chassis and drive chain I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Yeah if it's a parts shop hiring bottom of the barrel employees, give them some 5-10 year old pickup and good enough. I thought you were talking about a custom / resto shop specializing in tri-fives. For a parts shop, whatever, I wouldn't hold this Dakota... thing.. against them. A custom shop however? Nah.
well out here in Comic-fornia the bottom of the barrel make 15 bucks an hour screwing up my order at Mc Donalds so shop flunkies are getting hard to come by.

Of course I did give myself a raise to $15.50 so there is that..

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
No one gives a rats azz what the delivery guy is driving. It's a no win situation any way you look at it. Driver drives a bitchin whatever, customers complain that's why you're overpriced. Driver drives a beater, then they say you're over priced and a cheap skate to boot. Just have a reliable 2-4 year old pick up that's white with your logo. They'll still bitxch about you anyway.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
If I wanted a billboard for my Tri Five business it wouldn't be a Dodge Dakota with '57 Chevy fenders and hood. And if I wanted it to be as reliable as a late model truck, and have 4x4 like that Dakota, I'd buy a good late model Chevy 4x4 and then fit a '57 wagon to the chassis, and make that into a pickup. Then it would be dependable, all late model, and maybe impress my customers more than a half breed Chevy/Mopar truck.

·
Registered
803 Posts
San Diego probably has about the best weather of any city in the country, at any time of the year. Perfect city to have a 66 yo daily driver.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's for sure. If I was back home in Alberta, the car would only be out from April/May to early October probably or else the salt would have it gone in no time.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
San Diego probably has about the best weather of any city in the country, at any time of the year. Perfect city to have a 66 yo daily driver.

True for all So Calif from San Diego to Santa Barbara. And farther north ain't so bad

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Only a few metal particles of a 57 left in that ‘thing’. What value of doing that is there? If a new trucks so called dependability is the goal why not just buy a new truck and use it instead?

And as far as that ‘dependability’ goes, they run great…until they don’t. After that is expense up the ying yang. Changing an old school fuel pump or alternator on the side of the road and moving on can be far cheaper than just the diagnosis charges of the new junk sometimes. Then there’s labor and parts after that.

·
Registered
Denver, Colorado 1956 Nomad
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Edit: I see now you called it a retromod, not a restomod. New term for me.
That's my bad. I was having a hard time trying to figure out what word would best describe this vehicle.
Still trying to learn the terminology here as this is a new hobby to me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's my bad. I was having a hard time trying to figure out what word would best describe this vehicle.
I thought it was an actual term that I just hadn't heard of yet, maybe you coined a new one! When I thought about it, a 'retromod' would describe it pretty accurately, it's modified to look retro.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,521 Posts
To be honest, I think that's a perfect term for it. Someone made a retro out of a newer car/truck.

Retromod... coined here by Greg!

41 - 60 of 82 Posts