Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Does Painting a Tri-Five Cost?

What are other parts of the country paying for "Good" to "Very Good"....not "Show Quality" paint jobs. Here in Southern New Hampshire, let's call it driver paint, will cost north of $8K....and that's if you can find some that is willing to paint a car in the first place. To much collision work out there I guess....it's easy, quick and pays well.

Wedwagon

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I can't imagine paying that much for a paint job unless it was guaranteed to be perfect. It seems to me that a 'cheapo' paint job will do me just fine for now.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Wedwagon
I stopped painting in 1999 and my 2 last paint jobs averaged between 10 and 12 grand. That would be a solid color no candy or graphics. I would think if I was going to driver paint it would be close to that, but I would like to think our driver paint was show quality compared to the average. If in fact we painted candy with or with out candy the cost was closer to $18,000.
I see were west coast is that plus and maybe close to double. And if you have had the chance to have your mug :cool: on TV you seem to feel the paint work is worth a bit more. :eek: I guess the question remains how much is enough or even to much.:confused: A good paint job takes time a great paint job takes pain staiking time with nothing spared. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
5 footer/10 footer/20 footer

How nice does it need to be???There are infinite variables in painting a car...There's so much more to it than simply applying the paint. The customer can save a lot of money if he does his own tear down and reassembly(bumpers/chrome/lights/windows(if you're going that far) Then the condition of the car when the project starts has a large bearing on it...If it was all about masking and shooting(ala Maaco 50 footer) the cost would be pretty cheap.

·
Administrator
49,822 Posts
And in most cases the old adage stands true, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. That said get what you want in the first place or you will never be happy. I had mine painted the 1st time in the early 80`s and had a cheaper job done and never was satisfied with it, was ashamed to drive it and have anyone with an ounce of car knowledge look at it. Therefore i didn`t drive it or enjoy it much. That is why it`s being rebuilt again this time, and if i can`t afford what i want it sits until i save enough money to get what i want.
Terry

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the hard part is prep'ing the car the easy part is shooting the paint. That's where the time and effort pays off. Even in the fire truck business, there are companies that known for not doing enough prep work and 5 maybe 10 years down the road you see a lot of bubbles on the body.

Wedwagon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts