Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to see if anybody knows of a "painless" way to convert a '55 Chevy with a single-reservoir Master cylinder over to one with a dual-reservoir.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I'm looking to see if anybody knows of a "painless" way to convert a '55 Chevy with a single-reservoir Master cylinder over to one with a dual-reservoir.
Thanks!
All of the trifive vendors sell a dual reservoir MC. Most of them will require a proportioning valve. As for less-pain, I went with the CPP unit that has a built in proportioning valve. Yea, it costs a bit more, but it's simple... and I like that. Here is a link to what I'm talking about..http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/MCPV-1/MCPV-1.htm

·
Registered
130 Posts
drum brakes dual master

If you are running 4 wheel drum brakes you don't need a proportioning valve. All you really need is a dual master that many vendors sell and an additional brake line running to the rear brakes from one of the master cylinders. There are lots of posts here showing how

7,082 Posts
And you can use either the rebuilt or NEW dual master cyl from NAPA, OReillys, ect. for a 1968 chevelle. :bowtier:

If you are running 4 wheel drum brakes you don't need a proportioning valve. All you really need is a dual master that many vendors sell and an additional brake line running to the rear brakes from one of the master cylinders. There are lots of posts here showing how

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts
And you can use either the rebuilt or NEW dual master cyl from NAPA, OReillys, ect. for a 1968 chevelle. :bowtier:
Yup......68 to 72 Chevelle (for drum front and rear) is what I used

·
Registered
370 Posts
67 camero MC too. If you're running a 6 cylinder and an oil filter you'll have to move the filter or run a custom spin on type.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have disc on the front so I bought an adjustable valve for the rear brakes and picked up a SSB ( Stainless Steel Brake Co. ) master and booster for a 77-82 Corvette. Bolted right into the stock firewall holes and clutch pedal assembly.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good to know. I'm probably keeping my drums all round for a while but want to go dual MC for obvious reasons.

Would it make sense to get one with a proportioning valve in anticipation of front discs in the future?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks!
You can expect it to hurt a little when you unbolt the old MC from the four studs and notice that there are only two bolt holes in the new MC, and even worse that the two studs you can use might be too short to thread the nut on all the way. It will probably be OK (depending on the new MC), but for a little more pain you can worry the short studs out and replace them with longer ones.
Painless might be a somewhat unreasonable expectation to bring into your garage, at least I let that one go in the 1960s.
It's something to strive for I guess, more along the lines of pain management for me.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Would it make sense to get one with a proportioning valve in anticipation of front discs in the future?
No. In fact, you may not need a prop valve with front discs/rear drums. All the valve does is limit pressure to the rear brakes. It's required when, and ONLY when, a car's rear brakes lock up well before the fronts. Even then, an adjustable valve is the best way to go.

IMO, the preferred solution to premature rear wheel lockup is better front brakes.:D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I learn tons here and it's going to save me lots of grief down the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts