Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide what shifter to use on my '55. I don't want a pro billet reverse ratchet gizmo.

Trying to fine something that will look good - kinda old school - NOT a 12 foot rat rod shifter.

What are you guys running in yours? I have a 4L60 so it needs to be compatible with 4 gears. I am leaning towards the B&M Megashifter, but I hate the plastic stand.

I know that when I was a kid you could get 'universal' shifters that looked like 4-speed shifters. I always liked the look, but the shifters were crap.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shifter

Have a look at the LOKAR shifter. theres a floor mount which bolt directly to teh floor and theres a trans mount which has a bracket system that bolt on the transmission. They have a shifter for the 4L60e

You can also have a choice of handle length 6" 8" 10" 12". to that length handle ADD 3 1/2 inches for teh meachnism height and that will give you floor to the top of the knob distance. They have a good choice of knobs too.

Best of teh after markets IMHO.

The floor mount is very simple to fit up and needs only a slot in teh floor for the arm, its rod actuated or you can get one that is heavy duty cable operated. They have an excellent warranty too. I've got one in my A model.

www.lokar.com

cheers :bowtier:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
personally i think the lokar unit is a bit to "new tech". i've seen a couple of "period" B&M units on ebay that were for the 4 speed Hydro tranny. they've got a "gate" built into the cover/mount of the shifter. and i fact, i need one for my car.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
like you i dont want a race car shifter. i started using the mr gasket detent shifter. not real expensive and looks good. i reversed on for my pu and will use one in the 56 210 i'm doing. we have 66 nova ss seats and a 4 speed console. trans is a 200r4. it's a cable shift so it is easy to mount .

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Um I like the compition plus for street use, but race with a vintage Mr Gasket inline, no missed gears plus it's a half inch thread on the handle instead of 3/8", since a snapped the top off a comp. Plus going to third leaving the handle in my hand.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
personally i think the lokar unit is a bit to "new tech". i've seen a couple of "period" B&M units on ebay that were for the 4 speed Hydro tranny. they've got a "gate" built into the cover/mount of the shifter. and i fact, i need one for my car.

Do you have an example of the B&M? My car is not period correct, but I still know how I want it to look and the plastic stand isn't doing it for me. Maybe I'll have to figure out a console like porchdog. I have a '65 Rivi parts car and I was thinking of using the seats front and rear, but the console is kinda weird but I may be able to hack it...

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
See if you can locate an old B&M "box" shifter. I believe they are cable operated and would look at home in your car. Even if it's a 3 speed auto shifter, it will still operate your trans. You just won't be able to shift into L/1st gear. Which is no big deal. I'd rather let 1-2 shift happen "naturally" anyways. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts