Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as peter from family guy said...you know what grinds my gears?...an acquaintance of mine asks me the other day. "how's work?" and then asks how i get to work everyday, basically wanting to know how is it that i drive a 55 sedan and not break down every other day? i am kind of shocked at the notion that classic cars are not supposed to work properly like newer daily econoboxes do. but i guess that's the view of america...if you drive a classic car you must be poor or broke, and surely can't afford a new car. i scoff at that idea. if i wanted a new car that's what i would have bought in the first place instead of my 2 door sedan.

·
Registered
205 Posts
as peter from family guy said...you know what grinds my gears?...an acquaintance of mine asks me the other day. "how's work?" and then asks how i get to work everyday, basically wanting to know how is it that i drive a 55 sedan and not break down every other day? i am kind of shocked at the notion that classic cars are not supposed to work properly like newer daily econoboxes do. but i guess that's the view of america...if you drive a classic car you must be poor or broke, and surely can't afford a new car. i scoff at that idea. if i wanted a new car that's what i would have bought in the first place instead of my 2 door sedan.
A guy told me this when I said I wanted a classic commuter "you know its sad that no matter how much money or work you put into those old cars they will never be even close to reliable like a new car." He then proceeded to tell me that his mustang he tried to restore back in the 90s never did work right. He also mentioned that he did everything himself with Zero experience and Zero knowledge of cars :sign0020:

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
The most dependable vehicle Ive ever had is my 71 pickup. If I had to drive to California that'd be the ride I'd do it in.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
lol...so a car that has lasted 40 to 50 years is not reliable??? Now THAT is funny!! :sign0020::sign0020:

I don't think reliability is as much the issues, and parts supply. Some car models are lucky, like trifives, as they have many aftermarket parts available, so if I had one, I wouldn't worry about driving it...more worried about it getting stolen. I've heard of cars made in the early 90s are having issues finding parts...but people today don't seem to worry about that, as they lease one car after another...every four years a new lease in the driveway, so who has time to worry about something breaking down...they don't own their cars long enough!!

I WISH we could buy simplified versions of some of the cars on the road today...I really do not need, nor care for so many of the gadgets they have...just more stuff to break down if you ask me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don't you love it. When people comment on my car I always tell them " maybe one of these days I'll be able to buy a new car".:sign0020:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I can relate...

I get this question alot especially from family members. "Hows your car running?" as to imply there is something wrong with it.:sign0020:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
This is a little off track but close. My bro in law recently visited me and he'd never ridden in the 57. I was going to run an errand and as usual I was intending on driving Christine. He decided he wanted to go with me so I said fine.

I eased around in traffic doing my errands and eventually he started to tell me how fast his newer (90's?) Firebird convertible was. He started to make comparsions with the Firebird always coming out on top of the 57.

As he was talking he didn't notice we were heading out of traffic and to less traveled roads. I was starting to get a little po'd but didn't let on. When we got out far enough I pulled over and turned around, then stopped. I nailed every cubic inch of her big block, roller cam, aluminum headed butt and he never said another word about the Firebird. When we pulled into the garage I commented on how you could still smell the burnt rubber from under the wheel wells. He changed the subject. :sign0020:

He's really a good guy just needed a little tune up.:sign0020: Blake

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The most dependable vehicle Ive ever had is my 71 pickup. If I had to drive to California that'd be the ride I'd do it in.
I met my first real girlfriend the first time I drove my Dads 72 Cheyanne Super, won my first trophy at they strip with same truck when my Camaro broke at the strip. Come to think of it, still pulls an ocasional Camaro to the strip. 268k and I would not think twice about that trip to the left coast, my Dad made that trip with it 35 years ago fo USAR summer camp.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
This is a little off track but close. My bro in law recently visited me and he'd never ridden in the 57. I was going to run an errand and as usual I was intending on driving Christine. He decided he wanted to go with me so I said fine.

I eased around in traffic doing my errands and eventually he started to tell me how fast his newer (90's?) Firebird convertible was. He started to make comparsions with the Firebird always coming out on top of the 57.

As he was talking he didn't notice we were heading out of traffic and to less traveled roads. I was starting to get a little po'd but didn't let on. When we got out far enough I pulled over and turned around, then stopped. I nailed every cubic inch of her big block, roller cam, aluminum headed butt and he never said another word about the Firebird. When we pulled into the garage I commented on how you could still smell the burnt rubber from under the wheel wells. He changed the subject. :sign0020:

Sounds like you gave him a Big Block Attitude Adjustment!!!! :sign0020:
:congrats::congrats:

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts

Blake, I'm loving it....:congrats:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts